Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Leaf (pic in gallery)

Posted by delightp 5/ IN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 22:03

Hi, I posted a picture of a largeish leaved weed in the gallery. Only post in that forum this year so I thought I'd pop in here. "big leaf, little one" post. The small one I've identified but still cant figure out the Large Leaved one. The leaves seem to be more rounded than they appear in the picture very evenly toothed on the edges. No flowers as of today. Do not know if it makes flowers. Oh yeah, its the plant on the right.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hopefully I picked the right photobucket tag.

Thanks

Fay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Leaf (pic in gallery)

Looks like some kind of ornamental Mallow....couldn't tell you which.

Vera

o

Thanks for the clue Vera. I may have to wait for a flower its hard to ID a leaf. I wandered a bit through mallow's... theres a lot of mallows. LOL

Its not common, little, round leaf, or indian. Those seem to be the favorite mallows to take pictures of. (at least that I could see the leaf) Mostly I just saw close ups of flowers.

I'll keep searching around maybe I'll come up with a search word that'll narrow things a bit more, or just get lucky.

Thanks,

Fay

o

I have the same thing in my yard. It looks like rhubarb when allowed to grow. Very invasive critter.

o

That looks like garlic mustard. Crush one of the leaves and see if it smells like garlic. Garlic mustard is a biennial, so if that's what it is, you might not see flowers until next year -- but do yourself a favor and pull it up before it has a chance to bloom and reseed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic mustard

o

I agree, it's garlic mustard. Don't let it go to seed unless you want a lot more of it. It's a noxious weed.

o

Think y'all are right about the garlic mustard. That was my first thought but none of the pictures I could find looked right, but I just found one that matches up.

The only problem with pulling a weed is they sometimes have friends.... camera wasnt available but since you solved THAT guy

How about clover like foliage with tiny yellow trumpet shaped flowers? I really need to learn how to just kill stuff without wondering what it is.

Thanks

Fay

o

SOunds like Oxalis/Yellow Wood Sorrell. Have a picture? Most common weed killers (Weed-B-Gone) will kill it fairly easily.

o

Thats it, thanks. Dont think I need weed b gone. The area is kept weeded pretty good just a little fellow. I just need to quit weeding is all, then I wont feel compelled to figure out what the little guys are before the massacre.

On the bright side I've found the website I lost that I like to use for weed figuring outing when they are in flower. Things should get a bit easier now.

thanks again

Fay

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflowers by time of flowering/ color

o

The August issue of Fine Gardening has info about the invasive garlic mustard in the Q&A section. Well worth reading.

I've been battling this for years in my own gardens and it just seems to be getting worse rather than better. Article said the seed can remain viable in the soil for up the 5 years......drat!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here