Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azkittyd

What is this spade shaped leaved ground cover?

azkittyd
15 years ago

Does anyone know what this is? I have planted so many things I don't know if it is a flower or a "weed"

Thanks,

-azkittyd

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

Comments (8)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

First define what is a "weed", which is a plant that you do not want growing where you do not want it to grow. So even a "flower" could be a weed if it is growing in the wrong place.
    That looks like either Nightshade, or Morning Glory, neither of which you probably want growing there so this is a "weed". Both are easily dispatched by pulling out and being sure you get all the root. If you leave a bit of root of either one behind it will regrow.

• dbs_illinois_4
    15 years ago

Or maybe a bindweed (Convolvulus sp.) If so, you can expect to pull for a few years, as it is impossible to get all the root. Hedge bindweed's rhizomes are, I read, around 3-6 feet deep, just like Canada Thistle (I have both, sigh!)

• azkittyd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input,

I do believe it is either bindweed or morning glory. I really don't mind it - it looks quite nice. I think I will wait till it flowers to decide to pull it up.

Thanks again.

-azkittyd

• carollrar
    15 years ago

Sure looks like bindweed to me, and if you leave it there, you WILL regret it. If you can possibly dig it up, do it. It will try to grow all over your yard. And it doesn't look good once it gets going, either. I speak from bitter experience.

• hsernulka
    15 years ago

This looks like bindweed, or wild morning glory. Does it produce a pretty white flower, similar to a morning glory. this is a very, very invasive weed. I have had problems with it for years. After doing a lot of research and talking to co-workers ( I work at a nursery), the only solution that I have noticed works is to keep pulling, year after year. Try to pull as much as you can (getting as much of the root as possible). The only way to really successfully rid your garden of this pest is to damage the root system permanently, by pulling it up. You will not see results overnight, or possibly not even this season. But be patient ( I know it is hard), and hopefully you will have some luck.

good luck!!!

• iloveflowersinpa
    15 years ago

What about Ground Ivy? Is there a distinctive odor when you pull it up? Do the vines root along their length?

• jean_barsotti_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I live in the midwest and have these green spade shaped weeds growing in my lawn. They proliferate like crazy. Can you tell me what this weed is called and possibly recommend a weed killer for it?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

If you're lucky, that will make morning-glory-type flowers that you can see, that are pretty. If you are unlucky, it will have clusters of green or white flowers you probably never notice hiding under the leaves. One of the bindweed/buckwheat mutants. They know we don't like these flowers and the leaves protect them from detection. It may have leaves that change shape periodically. Next spring, millions of shoots will come up - in the lawn, flower beds, across the driveway, through a crack in the basement... Many will be sprouts but MANY are coming from the ROOTS!!! If you want to take a chance, keep a close eye under the leaves for those "flowers." Good luck!

Anyone trying to get rid of one of these, read the instructions by Bry84 in this discussion. I don't like 'cides but this is a good way to use one and a good plant to use it on. I would break my rule if I got this stuff again.