Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tall, single purple stem weed?

Posted by vmperkins z5 central IL (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 22:36

I have several tall weeds in my yard, that have a reddish purple single stem. The leaves look something like dandelion leaves but thinner. I don't know if I want to pull these things, because they look sort of toxic. They range from 3-4 feet tall, don't have a flower right now, and I've never seen them before. When they were first growing I thought they were dandelions.

Can anyone help identify them? I've been searching the internet to no avail.

I can post a pic if that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tall, single purple stem weed?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 23:44

Yes. Please post a picture.

o
RE: tall, single purple stem weed?

Well the plant sounds like Mugwort(Artemisia Vulgaris) it folwers like someitme in September and the folwers should look like culsters of cotton (but is not)(which can range from white to yellow) the plant is used in moxibustion (which you can google your self (lol))
Its considered very a very scared plant in some other parts of the world but here in the United States its considered a common garden weed anyway you can find out more about it following this link
Moxibustion http://www.sarah-lac.com/blog/2009/03/01/moxibustion-moxa-artemisia-vulgaris-mugwort/
and Mugwort here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_vulgaris
No its not posionus at all and you should feel like fuzz on the underside of the leaves so no its not poisionus but the essential oil of the plant marketed under the name "Armoise" is a neurotoxin!
You can smeer the walk way and around your home with them to keep out bugs actually they will die from eating it and rat or mice hate its bitter smell and taste. So overall its a good plant not a bad one like posion ivy >.<

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here