Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todds_sweetpea

thought it was clematis, turns out not so much! whatisit (w/pic)?

todds_sweetpea
18 years ago

This just started growing this spring, and I thought it was a clematis that I plated last year (was a "discount," i.e. nearly dead plant) so I let it grow. It's great at climbing, it's at the base of my front steps, making good use of the latticework under my stairs (the porch is 1/2 a story up, and it's all the way to the floor of the porch) but I don't want it to overtake anything. Can any one identify this vine for me, so I can decide to leave it or nix it? Thanks ever so much!

Image link:

Comments (11)

• zebz
    18 years ago

I think it's a type of nightshade.

• taupe79
    18 years ago

It looks like Silver Nightshade, solanum eleagnifolium or solanum elaeagnifolium (two different spellings). If it is some kind of nightshade... I believe it's poisonous. You might want to keep that in mind if you have pets or little kids- research it first, though. I really don't know- it may not be a danger unless you eat a whole bunch or something. Good luck figuring it all out.

• bcday
    18 years ago

I believe that is Bittersweet Nightshade, a.k.a. Climbing Nightshade, Solanum dulcamara. All parts of the plant are poisonous if eaten, and the red berries are attractive to children. They are not poisonous to birds, which eat the berries and distribute the seeds in their droppings. It's a perennial vine that will sprout again from pieces of the roots, so even after you pull it up, you will have to keep weeding it out year after year until the roots are exhausted.

• chills71
    18 years ago

and it smells like burnt rubber if you rub the roots.

I've got one that's almost 10 feet tall (its in the middle of a lilac and its coming from the other side of a fence, but I'll get it!)

~Chills

• Rosa
    18 years ago

Believe it's bittersweet nightshade as well. Solanum eleagnifolium (here at least) has leaves the color of Russian Olive-silvery green-due to the hairs on the leaves. Not glaberous like the picture posted. The leaves are quite a bit narrower on Solanum eleagnifolium as well.

• suzie_q864
    18 years ago

My mother used to call it "Deadly Nightshade"...It is poisonous and kind of invasive...Rip it out...definately don't want this around...I'm forever pulling the darned things.

Suzie

• joannpalmyra
    15 years ago

That is Deadly Nightshade.
    I was hospitalized after pulling it from my garden with no gloves.
    I've lived and gardened here for 15 years, and the nightshade plant has always been here. It grew vine-like at first on the fence, but as it gets bigger starts to bush out a bit. I had heard of it's toxic potential but liked the wee purple flowers with bright yellow center, and I only ever found the one plant in my entire large yard.
    Several months ago while watching evening tv with my daughter, my arms began to burn. I pulled up my sleeves and saw that the skin was red. Those symptoms went away after 20 or 30 minutes, and I didn't think much of it. (I had been working in my main garden a couple hours before that and pulled the nightshade to make way for a butterfly garden)
    2 months later I again was weeding and playing in the same bed and again pulled a nightshade. I went to bed at 9 that night, very early for me, but I was exhausted. I woke at 10:30 in a panic because I felt flames burning me in my bed. Thinking there was a fire I jumped up and was about to get my daughter when I realized there was no fire. But my back, arms & legs, face, were all burning as if on fire. I ran down the stairs and into the bathroom where I turned on the shower. i splashed cold water on my arms but it did no good. My husband came in to see what was wrong. I told him how I felt, which by this time included nauseous and weak. I felt like falling to the floor...
    To be continued after I drop my daughter off at the fair.

• joannpalmyra
    15 years ago

So my husband called an ambulance. I was a mess. So, so sick. I'll spare you the hospital details other than they gave me a cocktail of sorts, I slept then went home. The doctor was at a loss and blamed it on menopause. (I'm 45)
    I went to my doctor a few days later and aftyer i told her about the first experience and what i had been doing she said, "Well DUH! it's the nightshade!"
    OK, those weren't her exact words,I was paraphrasing. She explained how the toxicity works (it is used to make the drug atropine) and how not all peple have the same reaction, but my next contact with the plant is likely to cause respiratory trouble.
    I watch for it while in the garden and try (tho I don't like to) wear gloves when playing in the dirt.
    There are differet varieties of the plants, but all are toxic to people and animals.
    Even if they do have a cute little purple flower.
    *sigh*
    {{gwi:1348039}}my long-gone nightshade plant

• joannpalmyra
    15 years ago

bump

• Bonnie Johnson
    9 months ago

leaves of three beware of The

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living