Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irsarahbean

Where to begin (weeding? grading? rototilling?)

irsarahbean
9 years ago

Pics below.
I have read tons of articles and posts about annihilating a yard and starting from scratch. Some say rototill, some say don't, some say bury and mulch, some say pull and bag, etc.
My problem is that I also need to grade, so I'm thinking that this throws a wrench in the works as far as what to do with the old weeds.
Here's the basic situation (and links to pics):
I am working on a large undertaking. Our lot is about 1.6 acres, much of which is the front yard. I am going to start beautifying parts near the house, which we've started by adding patios and a porch.

Next will be irrigation installation and planting. But first I need to do some prep. So I want to kill weeds and grade. Currently the land is very bumpy and lumpy, lots of weeds and gopher hills, etc.

Should I rototill first? Grade first? Roundup? All of the above? In what order? I am not totally opposed to using Roundup because I hope to only have to do it at the start to get things rolling and then to use planning and mulch and hand pulling for upkeep.

Here are some pictures.

On the left is my pomegranate tree, which is part of a row of fruit trees I've planted. On the right you can see a small oak tree, a pine tree (which we plan to remove) and the edge of another oak tree. I am facing north-east.
This area of ground in between does not need to be pretty but I also don't want it to be weedy. Any ideas? On the far side by that little structure you can see through the trees will be the vegetables and berries.

This picture is taken looking straight at one of the oak trees. You can see the house behind it. This photo is taken pointing pretty much south.
This is mostly so you can see what the ground/weeds look like. Again, this part doesn't need to be pretty, but under control would be nice.

This picture is the opposite view of the picture 1. You can see the pomegranate tree in the *very* back, and an apple tree to the right.

And this one is a totally different area, it is a slope full of dead foxtails mostly. This is part of a wide slope that fronts the house and new front porch. I want to plant something nice here, but first - what to do with all those dead weeds.
This will be part of a larger landscaping plan of pretty plants (eventually).

This post was edited by irsarahbean on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 23:22

Comments (2)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Many people make a really big thing about spraying poisons to kill "weeds" before tilling and then people find that seeds germinate and grow even after spraying.
    Tilling, without spraying, will put that unwanted plant growth, the "weeds", into the soil as organic matter, something that soil may well need.
    I would start with a good reliable soil test for soil pH and major nutrient levels and even use these simple soil tests,

1. Soil test for organic matter. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. For example, a good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drainsâ too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.
    to learn more about the soil I had and plan on what needs be done to make that soil into a good healthy soil.

Then I would till that soil, including any "weeds", and grade it, install any irrigation and other hardscape and then seed or sod the lawn.
    You could spray and in a couple of weeks lay some sod and have an instant lawn and then spend a lot of time, energy, and money on upkeep.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

There is a CA forum. The locals would have the most appropriate and effective advice.

The mixed advice about tilling is likely from the fact that many plants can be multiplied by tilling, not killed. Some plants only need a small piece of root to keep growing. When tilling a plant like that, chopping it up makes hundreds of baby plants. If plants are definitely dead, tilling them into the soil once, to get started, could be a good plan.

When the ground is disturbed, the layers and drainage are ruined, and much of the microscopic life is killed. A spot that has been mowed for years is probably virtually lifeless anyway though, and may be rock-hard, another instance where tilling initially could be helpful. The info here explains this well.

Time to start learning about compost, and using unwanted plants, and other organic matter to your gardening advantage. There is a "soil/compost/mulch" forum as well.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz