Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ID this weed

Posted by nat4b 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 0:26

I would like to know my enemies :)
Already know oxalis, dandelions, nutsedge, spotted something, creeping charlie, wild violets and something looking like wild strawberries and various maple seedlings. Still a lot I 'grow' and don't know.
First 'offender' - this vine. It mostly grows in the fence, somewhat easy to pull but often the roots go on and on. It has little purple flowers with yellow centers, and it has a smell when you handle it. I tried to google with several word combinations - weedy vine with purple flowers etc, but came up with nothing. Looked thru posts here and people know so many weeds (plants)!
Anyway, here are the pics

Weed in May
P5255174

Weed in July with flowers
P7091403

One more
P7091404

If a close-up is needed I'll take another pic

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ID this weed

Solanum, probably S. dulcamara

o

Thanks a lot, Purpleinopp! I googled it and there are a lot of them, wow. Some leaves don't look like mine, but probably most of those are not weeds from warmer zones. I was surprised it's related to potato.
Anyway, wiki says that S. dulcamara (bittersweet nightshade) is an invasive weed (yes) and that it's poisonois! I noticed several times that after weeding my skin itches, probably because of this.
My next weed looks kinda like that, maybe they are related, I'll post a pic.

o

You're welcome, and oh yeah, you're right. I forgot the lovely rash it used to give me, luckily I haven't had to deal with this one for a long time. Not as bad as poison ivy, more like juniper burn, at least it was for me. Really is a pretty weed though I prefer to see it in pictures or someone else's yard.

o

I'd prefer to see it in pictures too :)) So it does give you a rash, doesn't it. I'll try to be careful next time. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here