Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anita55_gw

several photos please id

anita55
15 years ago

I think number 3 and 5 are the same plant, I tried to get a close up of the leaves. Thank you.

{{gwi:279449}}

{{gwi:220455}}

{{gwi:246489}}

Comments (17)

• blooma1
    15 years ago

Number 1 looks like a wild lily. If you dig one there should be a bulb.

• shirleywny5
    15 years ago

No 1 looks like obedient plant and 3 and 5 are some type of mint.

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the ids. This obedient plant is growing in the woods. Is it something I would add to my garden?

Any idea about photo 2?

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK 2 is apparently a Mulberry tree, and 4 is an aster, both of which I know are on my property elsewhere so that makes sense. Still need ID for # 5. Anybody?

thanks so much for the help.

Anita

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does this help?

{{gwi:246488}}

{{gwi:246487}}

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does anybody know what yellow loosestrife looks like? I found an article that said that loosestrife and verbena are similar to mint in appearance. Still searching for clues.

• livingfossil
    15 years ago

I don't think you have any Yellow Loosestrife in your photos. Here is my Yellow Loosestrife:

You can see the pic of my Yellow Loosestrife in my post:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/weeds/msg0617163114206.html?2

• tyrlych
    15 years ago

The last one is Galeopsis, mosy likely G.speciosa.

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you for the ID. I think that is it. I may wait to see flowers before removing just to confirm which type it is. Need I be careful handling this when I remove it? I'm reading that it is poisonous. thanks again.

Anita

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An update for all who were kind enough to write to me about the galeopsis. I wrote to the New England Wild Flower Society and they gave this ID:

ItÂs hemp-nettle (Galeopsis tetrahit), a member of the mint family (swollen stem below the node a good indicator!). ItÂs non-native, but not considered invasive

• tyrlych
    15 years ago

Both G.speciosa and G.tetrahit have stems swollen under nodes.
    Wait for flowers.

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am waiting and will post again when I see flowers. Thanks.

Anita

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:282327}}

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And I have to change my tune about one thing. These buggers do stick you. The young plants didn't but as I was going to remove these I had to get gloves on to protect my hands.

• hsernulka
    15 years ago

I AM GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO ID THIS PLANT. BUT JUST FOR YOUR INFO, MANY MEMBERS OF THE MINT FAMILY HAVE SQUARE-LIKE STEMS. THEY ARE ACTUALLY VERY INTERESTING LOOKING STEMS WHEN THEY MATURE. YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE AND FEEL THE 'SQUARENESS' OF THE STEM. JUST A LITTLE FACT TO KEEP IN MIND IF YOU GET INTO A BIND WITH A WEED ID. HOPE IT HELPS.

• riverminty
    15 years ago

If these mints are in your garden, you may want to remove it- they are perenial and come back each year in even fuller swing. They're lovely, but you'll have a lot less room for other things.

• anita55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, yes they are very pretty but since they are non native I have removed them. thanks!

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022