Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Weed ID please

kimcoco
13 years ago

This is creeping onto my property. The neighbors weed whack their lawn, and leave this patch here....

{{gwi:263489}}

Comments (6)

• tyrlych
    13 years ago

Acalypha virginica ?

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Your neighbors are probably doing what I do which is using a plant to cover the window well and gutter discharge. Gutter discharge areas are sometimes hard to establish plants. I find that this plant is widely distributed, can be pulled up is you want to put something in it's place, and to most people the leaves look like one of the mints. If they weed whack the rest of the yard and leave these they do not consider it a weed. There are a lot worse plants they could put there than this.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ummmm....no.

Widely distributed? Is it a plant or a weed?

I get that there may be a "lot worse plants", but that's irrelevant as it doesn't answer my question nor does it resolve the issue of invasiveness.

This is a nuisance neighbor from hell. Imagine living next to the nastiest person you could imagine. That's my neighbor.

I don't care if these neighbors consider it a weed or a plant, I need to know it's classification.

Anyone? What is this plant? Weed?

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

The definition and classification of a weed is a plant that is in a place that it should not be. My explanation gave you the reason that your neighbors do not consider it a weed. It is their place they can decide for themselves what they consider a weed on their own property. They do not consider it classed as a weed. It sounds like all you want is a reason to complain to some authority so that your definition of correct will be enforced. You asked if it was a weed and you received the correct explaination. Rather than fighting with your neighbors you might have asked them what the plant was and why they left it there rather than thinking they left it they just to bother you.

You probably have plants that your neighbors on all sides consider weeds but they are neighborly and do not want to destroy what is not theirs. Every gardener does.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First, you should refrain from PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS about things you have little information on. I'm not on this forum to ask your opinion of my neighbor situation, I am here to ask about a weed classification and you are attacking me with your derogatory and unnecessary comments stating that I "want to complain". Who are you to judge me? I am trying to prevent a WEED from taking over my property, it's not a matter of fighting with anyone - YOU are the one fighting. Further, I've already stated that they are nuisance neighbors. Can you comprehend what that means? Unless you have all the facts, keep your opinions about my neighbor situation to yourself. Do not post here if your comments are going to be non productive - I'm not on this forum to argue with people. I am here to gather information. And no, I don't have plants that any neighbors consider weeds. Again, preconceived notions are best kept to yourself. No need to respond - stay home, take a prozac, I think you need it.

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Please read what I wrote you keep asking if the plant is a weed. It does not matter what you or I think it is up to your neighbors to decide since it is on their property.

As far as this particular plant I attended a lecture on invasive and weedy plants earlier this month by the head plant person of Powell Gardens and the lecturer discussed this particular plant as being a good cover when someone asked about it. He advised if you did not like it pull it. If you liked it leave it be as it was nonagressive. So my statement were not preconceived but based both on experience and lecture.

I am retired so I am home but have never taken prozac but I hear it must be good.