Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to deal with this weed?

Posted by RtwoDtwo (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 8:58

Hi all,

First post on this forum, so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I am living in Belgium, Europe and have a very annoying weed in my garden. It has taken over large parts of my garden where a lot of flowers and shrubs used to grow.

I have tried pulling them out, but it is impossible to get the roots out with them. The roots snap very easily at the base of the plant and the entire topsoil is simply a maze of their roots. I don't think the plants use seeds to continue their blitzkrieg across my garden, they seem to spread via their roots.

Does anyone have experience with this weed or know what it is?

Any help on dealing with it (preferably eco-friendly since we like to support the insects, birds and squirrels in our garden) would be welcome as well...

Thanks in advance!

(PS: apologies for any spelling mistakes, English is not my mother tongue)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to deal with this weed?

Have you tried digging it up? How far down do the roots go?

o

Thank you for your reply!

The roots go down about 20-30 cm, so digging it up might be a possibility but it will take me a very long time. I am hoping for a more easy way out.

o

Sometimes there is no easy way. I hope someone can come up with one for you.

o

Aegopodium podagraria? I moved before successfully getting rid of this stuff, after trying to remove all of the root by digging out an entire section of garden one summer, then the next year I tried smothering when that failed... Which was failing when I ran away, screaming moved. A stronger material than newspaper may be more successful, maybe sheet metal. Hope the occasion to experiment does NOT arise here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here