Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virginia creeper in lawn

Posted by joet57 maine (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 9:28

Virginia creeper is taking over my lawn. There's way too much to dig and mowing seems to encourage it's spread. I'm ready for the nuclear option, if there is one. Any suggestions appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virginia creeper in lawn

That's odd. I have fought with VC in the past and I don't remember it rooting firmly all along the vine; if you pulled up the main vine, most of the rest came with it. Could you post a picture of how it's growing for you?

o

I too was overwhelmed with Virginia creeper. Its all over the neighborhood and spreads from yard to yard. There aren't many gardeners around here, so the non-gardeners don't know that its a problem, it is so pretty looking that they just enjoy it until it overwhelms their property.

If you put the ends of the vine in a container of vinegar that seems to be the only thing that will kill it. You have to put some plastic wrap around the opening of the container so rain won't get in to dilute the vinegar. It will take some time to completely kill it - so be patient. If you try to dig it out, you won't be able to get all of the roots and it will just come back stronger than ever.

Some people are highly allergic to this plant and suffer greatly just from touching it - so be careful. There is a thread somewhere on the GardenWeb about it that is well worth finding and reading.

o

Last fall I pulled it out of a couple of trees and a large lilac, now the lawn seems to be thoroughly laced with it. I'm not sure where the ends are. Yesterday I found that if I slide a fork under the thatch I can lift it and then pull by hand. It seems to be rooted everywhere, but I made some progress. If I dedicate some time to this, maybe I can keep it in check. So far, no allergic reaction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here