Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melody_s_gw

Is this a weed?

melody-s
11 years ago

I am in the Pacific Northwest. This vine is growing in several places in my garden and I would like to know if it is friend or foe.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• wwwonderwhiskers

Being in northern Virginia, I agree it looks just like the VA Creeper woven throughout my woods.

When we moved here a few years ago, I became active in a group that was all about Natives. Their comment about the VA Creeper was that if you lived in this area, and wanted a native vine creeper, this was for you. They consider English Ivey an invasive. However they said, if you were in England, the English Ivey would be your native, and the VA Creeper the invasive.

I am culling it out of the lawn and from trees if it's choking them. Otherwise I am leaving it be. Knowing it's growth habit (for which surely there is an MPH calculation), unless you want it to cover your lovely stone wall with lovely green vines & leaves, I would hand-pull it.

• wwwonderwhiskers

Being in northern Virginia, I agree it looks just like the VA Creeper woven throughout my woods.

When we moved here a few years ago, I became active in a group that was all about Natives. Their comment about the VA Creeper was that if you lived in this area, and wanted a native vine creeper, this was for you. They consider English Ivey an invasive. However they said, if you were in England, the English Ivey would be your native, and the VA Creeper the invasive.

I am culling it out of the lawn and from trees if it's choking them. Otherwise I am leaving it be. Knowing it's growth habit (for which surely there is an MPH calculation), unless you want it to cover your lovely stone wall with lovely green vines & leaves, I would hand-pull it.

• wwwonderwhiskers

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

Looks like Virginia Creeper to me; it can take over the world if you let it, or it can climb up a wall and look lovely. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: check here

• melody-s
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That seems right. It is quite vigorous. Could be nice, but I will have to keep it under control. Thanks.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

A "weed" is a plant you do not want growing where you do not want it to grow. I have roses growing where I do not want them growing so those roses are "weeds".
    If you do not want this Virginia Creeper growing there then it is a "weed", but many people plant Virginia Creeper and for them it might be a desirable plant.