Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turpy

Small tree like plants growing in my lawn

Turpy
10 years ago

I am having the problem of these tree like plants growing in my yard, I have been doing my 4 cycle fertilizer from IFA and I do not have a issue with weeds besides some morning glory in the back by the river bank but all in my yard I am seeing these little tree things growing everywhere, the image I posted is only after 2 weeks as we were on vacation. Obviously weed killer will not remove them as I fertilized in spring to kill weeds and have tried weed killer on them to no avail.

What the heck are these? and how can I get rid of them? They seem to have some kind of roots that are spread throughout the ground, when I pull the ones out that are not in the grass, the roots come out with it, some times inches in 2 directions and it looks like they have vine type roots that connect to each other. How can I stop them from coming up, without killing my grass?

Comments (7)

• hortster
    10 years ago

Looks like root suckers from a flowering pear (?). Sometimes happens if a tree is grafted and the root is a different type (and more aggressive) than the top. Also can happen if a tree has been cut down and the remaining roots try to sucker up. Mow, mow, mow. If the tree from which they come is healthy and you spray the root suckers with, say, dandelion killer - you might kill or damage the tree. If the tree has been removed you can try that herbicide.

hortster

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Looks like buckthorn suckers.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Keep those mowed and they will, eventually die out, They do appear to be suckers form a trees roots, but spraying with 2,4,D and Dicambra is extremely hazardous to your health and our environment.

Here is a link that might be useful: About 2,4,D and Dicambra

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Various broadleaf herbicides can be used as a paint-on application. Fine to use that way if label says so. But not if the tree is still standing. (best used when one removed a tree.)

• James Knutson
    7 years ago

I have the same tree-like plants growing in my lawn, and I have no pear trees. I've had them for three years and they keep on spreading. I pull them out before mowing and every week they keep popping up.

• toolbelt68
    7 years ago

Spray them with brush killer.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES