Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these and how can I kill them?

Posted by oscarsonthepond WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 11:16

I started seeing these weeds pop up in my lawn earlier this year. This is my first time having a lawn, so I didn't pay much attention to them, but now they're everywhere! My questions are: (i) what are they and (ii) how can I kill them without hurting my lawn? I put some Lilly Miller Weed N Feed on the lawn about 5 days ago...the lawn doesn't really look greener yet, but it looks like maybe some of the weeds are dying (not totally sure). How long should I wait before I can conclude whether that worked or didn't work? Should I try putting something else either on the lawn generally or just on the weeds? If so, how long do I need to wait? How long should I wait before I weed and feed again? I'm happy to buy whatever and do whatever it takes, but I don't want to fry my lawn either.

I'm a total noob, so any help is much appreciated! Thank you!! Here are links to the two photos:

http://i.imgur.com/C65gbH5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Y6ikmvr.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Second weed photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these and how can I kill them?

That looks like one of the Thistles. The active "weed" killer in that "weed and feed" is triclopyr which does not seem to have much affect on thistles from what I have seen.

o

I try not to use very often but ortho weed be gone always works it may take 2-3 applications I had that issue with wild violets and found out it takes 3 applications after mowing it worked and I had a serious problem

o

I'd say it's Cat's Ear, Hypochaeris radicata in the first picture, rather than a thistle. In the second you have Dandelion foliage, Taraxacum sp. and subsp. and also White Clover, Trifolium repens. Non- chemical means of control would be mowing to prevent flowering, improving the grass to crowd them out and grubbing out by hand. If you want to use chemicals you could spot weed individual plants rather than douse the entire lawn with herbicide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here