Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overgrown Weeds! Please Help

Posted by Alexandra55 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 11:16

We just bought our house last fall and found our entire side yard is covered in overgrown weeds. When we moved in last September my husband bushwhacked/tore out all the weeds along the side of our yard and sprayed weed killer. (His entire body ended up covered in poison ivy after all that work.) Then this summer the weeds all just grew right back (see picture).

Could anyone please help with suggestions of how to address this problem? Is there a way we can kill off these weeds or suppress them with limited touch (want to avoid the poison ivy)? We are first time homeowners and we're at a lost of how to address this problem.

This post was edited by Alexandra55 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overgrown Weeds! Please Help

You have two issues:

1 - Getting rid of the poison ivy
2 - preventing weed regrowth

Even dead poison ivy causes a rash ... so spot it, spray it thoroughly with glyphosate (the generic ingredient of Roundup, available as "eliminate" at Walmart) or a brush killer STRICTLY following instructions.

When it has died back, put on protective gear (painter's suit and impervous gloves) and remove the dead stuff, placing it DIRECTLY into trash bags and sealing them up.

Monitor the spot for the next couple of years, spot-spraying and disposing of any survivors the same way.

NOTE: Poison Ivy spreads by seeds in bird poop, so you will have to stay aware and kill it as soon as you see it. It will be back!

=========
A thick layer of mulch will minimize weed regrowth.

o
RE: Overgrown Weeds! Please Help

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:52

I think you'll find that for poison ivy, Roundup will recommend a higher mix ratio. It seems quite resistant to what I use to kill trees and most other shrubby weeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here