Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Barefootin'

As the title suggests, I am a huge fan of going barefoot, especially in my own yard. The problem is: sandspurs. When I moved into my house two years ago, sandspurs were everywhere. I did my research and found out that the best way to control them was to basically choke them out. Since they despise competition, a healthy lawn was the way to get rid of them. In the two years, I have managed to put a fair sized dent in the sandspur population in my yard and much of my yard has grass to keep it from coming back (in theory).

I still wander my yard on a weekly basis, pulling up any sandpurs I see. And in the past two weeks, it seems like I have been pulling up more and more. My 'lawn' is a thick mix of St. Augustine and Bermuda and other 'weeds'. By all rights, from what I had learned, the sandspurs should be having a hard time growing as there is tons of competition and almost no bare spots in the yard for them to get a footing. But here they are, growing like mad through the grass, even through the thick Bermuda 'carpets'.

I have pretty much sworn off most herbicides/fertilizers after Mother Nature played her hand this spring and completely showed me up in lawn care (her rains do SO much more good for a lawn than fertilizers could ever do). I will, however, be applying an organic weed'n'feed this fall and next spring that is supposed to help control crabgrass. BUT, I would almost be willing to nuke my entire yard if it meant being rid of sandspurs for good. Has anyone found a good cure for this annoying weed/grass other than perseverance?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath