Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stormy_weather_2008

Do I have to black top to get rid of these weeds??

I bought an old house this winter and the back yard had been neglected for years. The weeds are so invasive it's like a jungle. I have cut them down and two weeks later they're 3-feet tall again, so I decided to turn the soil in the entire yard to get at the roots (not an easy job!). I was pleased with my progress until I realized that the roots to the weeds are so deep and invasive they are a web of roots running throughout the whole yard! In some places they are 3 inches in diameter. Is there any way to kill these? I really don't want to black top the only green space I have in the city! The yard is about 20-feet by 24-feet. Please help!!!

Comments (5)

• finchelover
    15 years ago

I am having the same problem....weeds. My daughter and I have pulled,laid paper and cardboard and then mulch and I am just sick,weeds everywhere. I hate to spray I have roses and flowers in all these areas. I guy several weeks ago said to put down 6 inches of mulch. Man! thats alot of mulch which I cant afford. I already put down about $400. Getting too old with problems to pull weeds and now its HOT. Good Luck.

• jabbawest
    15 years ago

Nope.
    Vapam can be used to the area. Follow the instructions but, basically you will apply Vapam to the soil, cover the area with plastic for at least 48 hours. You can replant anything, including vegetables, 21 days later.
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: VAPAM

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

If the area is level enough to run a mower over it, or can be leveled without much difficulty, I would keep it mowed until I decided what to do with it. A freshly mowed patch of weeds can look pretty nice, and it's green. Since the weeds were tall, the weed "turf" might be sparse, but it'll fill in. If mowing is feasible, then there's no point in killing the weeds until you know what you're going to replace them with, since they'll come back before long.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Vapam is a Restricted Use Material which means it shuold not be available to anyone except licensed pesticide applicators, and Vapam releases toxic gasses when mixed with water, and Vapam is a fungicide, not an herbicide so its use here is inappropriate at best.
    Stormy needs to start with a good, reliable soil test so contacting the local office of the University of Massachussetts USDA Cooperative Extension Service should be a first step follwed by making any soil nutrient corrections they suggest. Also digging in and taking a good, in depth look at the present soil condition with these simple soil tests,
    1) Structure. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. A good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top.

2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drains too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up.

3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart.

4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer you soil will smell.

5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.
    can help determine what else needs to be done to make that soil into a good, healthy soil that will grow strong, healthy plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: UMASS CES

• msmeliss58
    15 years ago

Stormy I have those same weeds here. Whatever you do don't rototill the area. My husband goes nuts with the rototiller and then just leaves the area up to me to do something with. I've begged him just to help me mulch!!! But whatever I say he has to do the oppisite. Once he disturbed those extensive roots systems those massive weeds have taken over. I sprayed & raked and cleaned a shade area, planning on mulching, then I got sent out of town for work when I came back the whole area was covered with the monster weed approx 10" tall. Very pretty actually then they become 3 feet tall monsters. Anyways what the heck are they?? Have they laid dormant for years since the roots like you said are 3' diam and proabably 6' long!!!!???? I guess I will have to take it to a professional like the previous poster mentioned in the post regarding soil condition. I'm from CA and all I ever had to worry about was crabgrass and an occasional dandilion. This arce is like a weed factory!!! I've got weeds outta here I know would take a blue ribbon at the state fair if you could enter WEEDS!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21