Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plan of attack

Posted by timtsb none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 13:11

A family member asked me to weed the area around their pool. I went to take a look at it and it's in much worse shape than I thought...it appears it hasn't been touched in years.

At my house I stay on top of my landscaping so I'm not used to dealing with overgrown weeds. I think it's too big of an area to do it all by hand. Do I till it? Spray it? Something else?

(In the immediate foreground of the picture it doesn't look so bad, but you can see towards the back corner it's much denser, and it's a bigger space than just what is pictured here)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plan of attack

With a fork you could easily go through the area visible in the photo in less than an hour. Not a little hand fork, a digging fork. Doing it by hand you get to see exactly what is there and leave the good stuff alone. Plus it is the most through method of clearing ground because you can get out the roots of perennial weeds which are often unfazed by chemicals or smothering. You will also be aerating the soil and preparing it well for planting any new stuff.

o
RE: Plan of attack

Pull as much of the big stuff as you can by hand and then cover the area with cardboard and/or thick layers of newspaper, cover with a thick layer of mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here