Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
relative of mint? 3 different smells from one plant

Posted by tenuviel MD (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 13:55

I hope someone can help me identify this herbaceous weed, it is growing in a 5 gallon pot in rich soil with my majesty palm. Height approx. 13 inches. The leaves are very slightly velvety, thin, light, a cordate, accute shape, and serrated. the mature leaves are about 2 inces wide at the base, and 3 inches long. It is taller than it is bushy. the stems and leaves are light green throughout, except for the 2 bottom most stems, which are lightly tinged with pink. the stems are about 1/4" in diameter. The first smell of the plant is a light mint, chlorphyll scent mixed with garlic. upon crushing the leaves, it has a musky, sharp, somewhat unpleasant smell, and a third smell reveals a very sweet, spearmint like smell. There are no flowers at this time. It doesn't resemble any of the mints i have been able to find pictures for. Is ther any weed that resembles mint. It seems to like growing in my plant pots. On the 4th story of my balcony.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: relative of mint? 3 different smells from one plant

It kind of sounds like the catnip I recently attempted to remove from my garden. Until then I never realized that it has a slight minty odor and that when broken smells something like marigolds, which do not smell all that good.

o

I know it's not catnip, I grow it, and it actually smells better crushed, the third time anyway.

o

Does it have a square stem like most plants in the mint family (Lamiaceae)? There are lots of plants that have fragrant leaves, by the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here