Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can't id these yet

Posted by pontyrogof 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 15:06

I haven't tested my soil yet, but I guess it is acidic from decades of pine straw. Here's the healthy mystery plant. I know a flower would help, but...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can't id these yet

Here's the ill nourished looking one. You can see it's flower. Not the grass, the mini kale looking one.

o

Here's the ill nourished looking one. You can see it's flower. Not the grass, the mini kale looking one.

o

The healthy plants are Ajuga reptans, a common groundcover that can be aggressive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ajuga reptans

o
Ajuga reptans

Thanks so much tulsarose for the positive id. Having moved here recently, I'm still at the stage of learning what to encourage and what to dig up for municipal composting. If bugleweed inhibits poison ivy 100% it might come in very handy here.

o

"If bugleweed inhibits poison ivy 100%" No chance. Ajuga is a tiny little thing, PI is a giant vine.

I think the other plant is something different, not Ajuga, but no idea what. There is a name-that-plant forum if it's not recognized here.

o

Pine straw, like other forms of organic matter will not have a significant impact on your soils pH, and as many of us have found getting an adequate amount of organic matter in the soil can help that soil become more acceptable to a wide range of plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here