Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heather_walker_ehs

Lasagna Method Weed Removal Advice Needed

heather_walker_ehs
14 years ago

I am starting a community garden project in an old overgrown garden plot. The local maintence man said he will brush hog it for me, but there will be some stumps of baby trees and lots of weed roots left in it. I've obtained a small amount of compost from the local recycle center (I'd like to get more but need to find a way to transport it) and I have a source of dried leaves and wood chips which I can haul in small amounts to the site. We've got no budget for the garden, and I'd like to do it organically so I'm thinking the lasagna method is our best bet.

This is what I was thinking: put the leaves down over the mess of cut weeds, then put some flat cardboard boxes over the leaves to keep them from blowing away and to smother out the weeds. Then I was thinking I'd put the compost on the cardboard and wood chips over that to keep the cardboard from blowing away in our strong missouri wind storms. I'd like to be ready to plant in this plot next Spring.

Please share your thoughts and advice on this matter.

Comments (4)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

The cardboard on the soil will keep any weeds that try to grow there from getting the sunlight they need to grow, and that usually will kill those weeds so yo want to put the cardboard, or newspapers, on the soil and cover them with the leaves and wood chips, to hold the newspaper or cardboard in place. Putting the leaves down first could allow some light to reach the weeds resulting in them growing even more vigorously than before. A good, heavy mulch does not "smother" "weeds" if deprives them of the sunlight all plants need to grow.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

If you find you have an area that is good enough to plant you could start you garden using some of the fall gardening techiques. Some of the cole crops, carrots, and turnips can be planted soon for a fall/winter/spring crop. Some will grow over the winter if planted late enough, spinach, and provide a early treat to new gardeners.

I know Territorial Seeds lists a Winter Garden Collection that you can use as suggestions for seeds. You might be able to get a group of gardeners to help this fall if they can see something quickly and give themselves something to look forward to next spring.

For cheap seeds for your group start looking for hardware and other places that may still have seeds left from this spring. I have often picked up seeds very cheap or since this is for a community garden you may be able to get them real cheap by asking the manager. Good luck on your project.

FYI depending on your area and your feelings you might ask in your local paper for people to bring their bagged leaves to your site. Gives you extra and who knows maybe donations of other things.

• heather_walker_ehs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, I found someone today who will drop off a load of wood chips. I can also get compost from the recycle center and grass clippings from the golf course if I get my hands on a truck. Also, some people from the seed exchange forum has been nice enough to pledge us some seeds, and a local nursery said we could have tomato plants next season. So mainly my concern right now is a water source. I'm thinking rain barrels, but they seem very expensive. I might just try and use a really long hose from the main building.

• gailey
    14 years ago

Heather, I think your idea of starting a community garden is a wondeful idea and you deserve huge credit for getting it off the ground.

I am also a huge advocate of Lasagna Gardening. I am assuming you have read Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza, which is a great resource.

And the last thing I want to do is rain on your parade but I urge you to identify the weeds that you have before you go to all the trouble of covering then up. Reason being, lasagna gardening techniques will be no barrier at all in the long run to weeds such as Canada thistle, ground elder, briar, creeping bellflower etc.

The advice posted previously about starving out light works well on weed seeds but those weeds that have well established root structures will just run rampant under your defences and you will have twice as much work to do to get rid of them.

Consider posting pictures here of weeds that you can't identify and I am sure someone will recognise them.

I have recently discovered a product called EcoClear which is an organic acetic & citric acid based weedkiller. I can't vouch for it yet, but have just ordered some. It's a Canadian product, but it may be available in the US. If not, I am sure there are other organic weed control products out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza