Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed preventing sheets

Posted by kesca z7 VA (kesca@cox.net) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 15:32

I've seen rolls of mesh like sheets that are supposed to prevent weeds. Do they work and do you apply before, or after planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed preventing sheets

Most people who have experienced weed cloth think they are a waste of time and money. And a pain to get rid of when you want to. No, they really don't work very well. Weed seeds can land in the mulch and grow right on through.

o

Weed cloth is supposed to be used in areas where you will NOT be planting, ie under a stone path, under a deck. It is effective in those situations at suppressing weeds. Any weeds that do grow in the stones are easier to pull as their roots will be short due to stopping at the weed cloth.

It will not work in a flower bed, shrub bed or other planting where you cut holes in it to plant. Once you cut a hole, weed seeds will find their way under the cloth and sprout.

o

Actually, just so Kesca doesn't get confused....woven weed fabrics are designed to be used in landscape beds. That is how it is labeled and marketed. After the soil is prepared, the fabric is laid down and holes are cut so that the plants can be placed in the soil. Mulch is then applied on top of the fabric. Unfortunately, weeds germinate in the mulch and the roots can grow right through the fabric.

However, I do think, Judy, that using this material for the purposes you've mentioned is very appropriate. I'll be designing a stone walkway for my own home this fall, and I think I'll use a layer as an interface between the rocks and sand. It might help keep the earthworms from making a mess in the path!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here