Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeds in a creek

Posted by vdg1 Z 4-Ont..Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 15:43

I have a creek that runs through my property and empties into a large river.
The problem is that the creek is being choked down to a trickle by weeds. One of the weeds looks like forget-me-nots and I am not sure what the other one is except that it is spreading everywhere.
Is there anything safe that I can use to get rid of these weeds and open up the creek again. I have tried hand pulling but the roots are very strong and it is a near impossible job.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeds in a creek

I'm having the same problem with our river. The weeds are just taking over. Someone please give us a solution.

o

I don't have a solution, sorry, but have you tried contacting your country, state, or county's ag center? You might want to start here:

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/

and here:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/internet/Agexten.html

Good luck! =)

o

I have gone in mine a couple times a year and pulled the weeds out by hand. There's a lot of grass that comes up easily; its just messy. Cattails are another story; very tough, but I'm leaving some since I learned what a benefit they are. There are lots of them on the other side, which is just an area let go and the birds love it.

We can't use any type of machine as there is rock all along the bottom and the banks.

o

The forget me not type flowers are probably impatiens capensis. It likes to grow in creeks and is a desirable native flower. Great for hummingbirds. It does get "aggressive" in creek beds. But its not harmful.

I would leave them alone. The plants growing in the creek help stabilize the surrounding soil and prevent erosion. If the creeks needs more space for flow, it will knock those plants over, itself.

o

On our local PBS show this weekend they talked about weeds in creeks. I know you are in Canada and the rules are different but destroying stream banks is apparently a state and federal offense.

o

Has it flowered yet? If so, is it perchance a pretty magenta-purple? If it's a grass, then it might be Reed Canary Grass (Phalaris arundinacea).

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Loosestrife

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here