Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dexterity_gw

Is this a weed?

DEXTERITY
10 years ago

Greetings,

I hope someone can help me.

I recently over seeded (I know summer isn't the best time, but figured I would try anyways). I used Lesco (from John Deere - not Home Depot) sun and shade mix (no noxious weeds) and now I have a few long bright green weeds or grass growing. From the pictures they almost look the same as the surrounding grass but they are much brighter and longer.

I have no idea what it is. However, it is always longer than the surrounding grass even shortly after being mowed.

I would appreciate any help and can post better pictures if needed. I am a new homeowner (previously owned a condo) so having a yard is new to me.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• hortster
    10 years ago

First question: do these weeds have a triangular stem? Looks similar to yellow nutgrass (Cyperus). If so, do not pull unless you are willing to keep pulling until it is gone. There are products specific to nutgrass. If you pull it, it will multiply.

hortster

• DEXTERITY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your response. I am going to look again in the morning and post again. I will take a better picture as well.

After reading what nutgrass is, it fits the description - at least the part of it rapidly growing, not looking niceand growing in summers with above average rainfall.

If it is nutgrass/nutsedge, does that mean I got bad seeds from Lesco or it just happened to grow around the same time of me over seeding by coiencendence?

Thanks

• gardenecstasy
    10 years ago

thanks for identifying my yellow nutsedge problem as well!

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

"Nutsedges are common weeds in landscapes and gardens in the coastal valleys, Central Valley, and southern areas of California. They thrive in waterlogged soil, and their presence often indicates drainage is poor, irrigation is too frequent, or sprinklers are leaky. Once established, however, they will tolerate normal irrigation conditions or drought."
    Although many disagree with that it is what I have seen over the years as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Sedges

• DEXTERITY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took one of the weeds to my lesco dealer and it is indeed nutsedge. I bought sledgehammer which should work. If not, they recommended using dismiss early next spring.

I still don't get why they just appeared. That may be a good thing since I was paying attention and treated it within a week of spotting the annoying weed.

Thanks for the replies.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Most grass seed has some weed seed in it. Take a look at the ingredient list. It might havee a percentage of "other seed" listed.

• DEXTERITY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

True, but this weed sounds like a noxious weed which my seed and most good seed has none of,

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

DEX, your yard is not a vacuum. Seeds from nutsedge can come in on the wind, blowing rain, birds' feet, etc. If you are using a lawn service....trust me, they do not clean their equipment from customer to customer.

The nutgrasses do well in in my non-irrigated, well-drained, dry soil.

By the way, the name of the herbicide is "Sedge Hammer" not Sledge Hammer....cute? It does work.