Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone tell me what this is?

Posted by kathsgrdn KY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 16:07

This plant is in all my flower beds and in parts of the grassy areas, it's now starting to even come up through cracks in my driveway.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone tell me what this is?

• Posted by weed OR 6/7 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 19:54

In the picture it looks a lighter color than I usually see it but it looks like Polygonum persicaria L.,
Ladys thumb, Spotted ladysthumb

o

Might be swamp smartweed, a close relative of lady's thumb. Regards, Peter.

o

Looks like Pennsylvania smartweed -- does it have little spire of pink-purple flowers? It's a common roadside wildflower that's a weed when it's in the yard. It can get pretty big from a single root, but it pulls right up, root and all, after a rain. Get it before the flowers go to seed. Good luck. Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here