Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nightshade with 4 white petals?

Posted by FloatingCoyote Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 16:16

I've been trying to identify this plant which has been spreading quickly into my property in a shady area. It certainly looks like some member of the nightshade family but I haven't been able to figure out which one. The plants are about 4 to 12" high with purplish stems, no visible hairs, unpleasant odor. The flowers look like American Nightshade with white petals and a protruding yellow centre but the American nightshade (that I've seen online) always has five petals and this has four (somewhat irregularly shaped). Any guesses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nightshade with 4 white petals?

Compare to Houttuynia cordata.

o

Fish Mint? Yum!

Yeah that definitely looks like it. Smells like it too.

Thanks for that.

From what I'm reading it will probably take over that part of my yard which tends to be very wet and a bit shady. Since it's not toxic (even edible) I can live with it. From the sounds of it, I won't have much choice. :)

o

There is no living with this plant. Get rid of it now, because it will take over. Before you know it, it is everywhere. I don't normally use Round-up, but I will use it on this plant. A real nuisance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here