Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradoweeds

Free Colorado Weeds ID Guide

coloradoweeds
17 years ago

Assistance in visually identifying Colorado Noxious Weeds on List A (eradication), List B (management) and List C (education). Pictures of plants on each list are displayed in alphabetical order by their Common name, with their Scientific name also given. Free guide available online at www.hotmeal.com

BTW, many of the weeds are very edible - yum - I hope that they add information on the common edible weeds soon!

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: www.hotmeal.net

Comments (8)

• coloradoweeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I beg your pardon! The site is www.hotmeal.net , not .com

• coloradoweeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, the idea is to inform the public that there is a problem, so that everyone can pitch in, taking many baby steps together we can help together to first control and than eliminate these problems one at a time.

• catfishsam
    17 years ago

coloradoweeds, the first thing the could do is be honest. They make the claim that salt cedar uses 200 gallons of water a day. The real truth according to some people that have studied the salt cedars is that salt cedar uses about the same amount of water that similar size trees do.

The way that they determine how much water a tree uses is to look at the size of the leaf. Small leafed trees uses less water and larger leafed trees use more water. Salt Cedar has small leaves so will use less water. It actually uses even less water under some circumstances.

The salt cedar is promoted as a water guzzler, which is just not factual and the truth should really be told.

One of the biggest user of water is the cottonwood, which these same group of people are promoting.

• coloradoweeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I absolutely agree with you that there is huge bias against non-native trees on the weed lists. I am not promoting destruction of every Salt Cedar and Russian Olive. I, for one, love Russian Olives and would not want to kill any of my own, if I had them. These trees are real survivors and can frow places where just about nothing else grows. The problem with Sal Cedars is that they have very deep roots that get the salt to the surface as they drink the water. I am not sure if there is a way to maneg that rather than destroyong all of the, though...

• catfishsam
    17 years ago

Do salt cedars really have deep roots? I have heard some articles claim that the roots go down 100 feet. But has anyone really dug down and found out how deep the roots really go down? I doubt it?

The experts used to believe that all tree roots went down really deep. Then they found out that most roots of large trees only only go down 3 or 4 at the most.

The salt problem is caused by dropping the water table too much. This is caused by humans wasting water on swimming pools, washing cars, and other wasteful activities. It is convenient to blame it on the salt cedars, but it is just not true. People just waste too much water.

Another claim that the anti salt cedar people put out is that if the salt cedar is eliminated then suddenly the water table would rise and the rivers would flow like crazy.

In New Mexico along the Pecos River they have removed a lot of salt cedars. The river nor the water table has risen. Also the cottonwoods have not returned. All there is is a lot of dead salt cedars that are a fire hazard.

This is the great Salt Cedar myth. We need some serious study of salt cedars before removing them.

Another concern that I have is what will happen if they are removed from all the small creeks. Now they slow the water down in flash floods. If they are gone, then the water will charge down the creeks and cause all kinds of damage.

• catfishsam
    17 years ago

Here is a good article on the salt cedar along the Pecos River.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt Cedar

• rusticboard_aol_com
    13 years ago

Does anyone know who posted the weed guide at hotmeal.net?
    I would be interested in contacting that person or organization. Thanks.