Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cammunizm

Weed or Wild Flower

cammunizm
12 years ago

Zone 9a, Jacksonville, FL.

I recently started a new area. Left it for a week to check for weeds; none.

Mixed in one of those "Wild Flower" mixtures that are 12% seeds, 88% inert material. I was curious if this is something that was "possibly included/intended" in the mixture, or if it's not part of the Wild Flower assortment.

I ask as I've noticed it in another location under a non-bottom bird feeder (which uses larger song-bird seeds).

The last plant was also found under the bird feeder. ID?

Thanks

{{gwi:1349442}}

{{gwi:1349443}}

{{gwi:1349444}}

Comments (12)

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

The first two look like purslane. In some areas this invasive, but I encourage it. It is great in salads! See link.

The third is a little more puzzling. In my area up north, my first thought was lily of the valley. It certainly looks like some sort of monocot. But your zone is far from mine, and I just don't know.

Here is a link that might be useful: purslane

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

What some people consider "weeds" others consider wild flowers which they are. A "weed" is any plant you do not want growing where you do not want it growing. I have Roses growing where I do not want them (bird seeded from a neighbors "Rosa rugosa") so they are "weeds.
    The first two are, most likely, purslane, but the third is not Lily of the Valley. I have seen it, it grows in my garden, but I've not yet identified it.

• cammunizm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good thanks. I was looking to actually grow purslane as well but this will be of great help.

I was hoping to avoid the standard "copy and paste of what a "weed is" by describing my situation involving a wildflower mixture and if it was most likely included or not. but thanks anyhow.

Any tell tale ways to ensure what I have growing is indeed purslane?

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

Here are a couple of sites that provide more explicit descriptions. The stems are often reddish or orange-ish in full sun, but not always. They may be green. As they get older and sprawl more, they are even more distinctive in form. Look at lots and lots of pictures, and develop a search image for it, and compare.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/porol.htm
    http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/index.htm

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

The 3rd one looks like corn, or some type of grass.

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

New question on the third photo. When you crush a leaf, does it have an onion/garlic smell?

• cammunizm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda, thank you for the links. They actually led me to identifying another weed that seems to get worse the more I pull....it's either prostrate knotweed or spurge (or are they the same?)

Ideas on getting rid of it? It's getting bad and there are large areas now.

I'll check tomorrow for a smell. Would it be an onion or garlic from birdseed? (it's under a bird feeder)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

From birdseed? Could be sourghum.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to corn thread

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

Prostrate knotweed and spurge are definitely not the same.

The knotweed are Polyganum genus. Decent info re Prostrate knotweed: http://tinyurl.com/3lrnuyc

There are lots of 'spurges', all Euphorbias, as far as I know. And there are several kinds of sprawling prostrate spurges, in addition to the tall ones I'm familiar with. I don't know what there might be in your area.

Re the 'smell' thing on the mystery picture, in your area, I thought is might be some kind of ramp/ramson thing. http://www.forestencyclopedia.net/p/p1912
    But then I read that they die back early.... Ok, That's not it. If they are growing now, I'm probably wrong yet again [wry grin].

They are some sort of monocot. but that is like saying they're 'some sort of conifer'. Useless....

If you find out what they are, my curiosity bone would like to know.

12 years ago

When birds visit your yard and bird feeder, they are likely to "drop" seeds from anywhere they've been. The dropping of seeds doesn't mean from their mouths, but from the other end. This (and the wind blowing) is how weeds get into gardens, and how some ornamental plants can infest wild areas.

12 years ago

Forgot to add...

Left it for a week to check for weeds... Some seeds can remain viable for years or even decades until they finally 'decide' to sprout.

• cammunizm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Updated photo on the 3rd photo.
    I think It is looking more like Red Sorghum. Able to confirm yet?

thanks!!

{{gwi:1349445}}

{{gwi:1349446}}

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner