Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Poison Ivy Parasite or Disease?

Posted by blackberryjohn z7 OK (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 18:41

Hello:

While working in the yard yesterday evening I noticed an unusual looking poison ivy plant. The leaves were covered with small nodules that I'm guessing was some type of parasite or disease and it appeared the infestation was so severe the plant was dieing off. Surrounding plants didn't appear affected by the condition - although admittedly there was only trumpet vine and grass in the area. Younger poison ivy plants did, however, to have the condition as well.

Has anyone ever encountered this before on poison ivy?

It struck me that if this was a condition that perhaps only affected poison ivy that maybe it could be isolated and used as a biocontrol for the plant. A Google search of "poison ivy parasites" (or similar) didn't lead me to any hits.

I apologize if the attached picture isn't up to par. Size limitations.

Any suggestions on how or if I should proceed.

Image link: Poison Ivy Parasite or Disease? (30 k)


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Poison Ivy Parasite or Disease?

Are you sure that is poison Ivy?


 o
RE: Poison Ivy Parasite or Disease?

I thought about that possibility too and yes, I'm about 98% sure that it is poison ivy. See link below for more pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Ivy Parasite?


 o
RE: Poison Ivy Parasite or Disease?

  • Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 29, 06 at 23:03

Perhaps eriophyid mites? If so, seldom fatal.


 o
RE: Poison Ivy Parasite or Disease?

  • Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 0:40

I couldn't find any pictures (yet) but I did find this info:

"Eriophyid Mites

Mites within this group are very small (0.5 mm long) and are rarely seen even with the aid of a 10X hand lens. They are generally colorless and are often identified by the damage they cause. The mites attack a wide range of plants, including maples, camellias, hackberry, American elm, willow, and ash. They are one of the few mites or insects that feed on poison ivy or poison oak. Unfortunately, the damage is not enough to kill these plants. The life cycles of the eriophyid mite are not very well understood."

at http://msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is1297.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: eriophyid mites on poison ivy and more


 o
RE: Poison Ivy Parasite or Disease? -more

  • Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 0:46

And here's more:

"Aculops toxicophagus produced puckered, irregular, wart-like galls on the lower and upper leaf surfaces of poison ivy. These galls turn from yellowish-green to brilliant red and make the usually dark-green ivy leaves very colorful."

And a photo at
http://www.hsu.edu/content.aspx?id=2151
You'll need to scroll nearly to the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: eriophyid Aculops toxicophagus


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here