Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying to identify this weed

Posted by russuyeno Hawaii (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 18:43

The lower half of this photo is my zoysia grass, and the upper half is what looks to me like a different kind of grass but have been told is actually a weed. The weed is slightly darker and has much thinner blades, but it seems to grow and spread just like grass. It is taking hold in this area that has poor drainage and where the zoysia is thin and not healthy. Can anyone tell me what this weed is, so I can find the right herbicide to take care of it? Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying to identify this weed

Just because it's a weed doesn't mean it's not a grass. Grasses are a type of plant. Weeds are any plant that's growing where you don't want it. If you don't like the other grass, it's a weed.

I'm not quite sure what species of grass you're dealing with. Zoysia grass doesn't tend to handle wet soils well, getting it to establish and remain healthy may be difficult to impossible. It might be more sensible to just plant a grass that will handle the wet better than Zoysia. If the grass that showed up doesn't look bad, it might be easier to let it be.

As for removing the other grass, there is no right herbicide. To the best of my knowledge there are no herbicides for killing one species of perennial grass without harming another. Best bet would be to work the ground up and try planting again. Again, I would recommend trying a species better adapted to wet soil, because if you replant zoysia you are likely to end up with the same problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here