Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_ann_gw

Please ID -- Worried this Poison Water Hemlock!

janet_ann
11 years ago

Hello,

This is the first season (in 15+ years) that I've noticed THIS TYPE of weed on my property.

I actually LIKE it because it is tightly filling in the areas between my stepping stones without letting much else through.

However, a friend warned me it could be Poison Water Hemlock, and I am very worried about it!

I am presuming that its (seeds?) must have "rode in" with the river tide when Hurricane Irene occurred.

It is growing mostly in SHADE, and that spot is kinda of dry back there because it is slightly sloped. It gets some dappled sun from the North.

I doubt it is due to bird seed spillage/growth because I've been feeding those buzzards for 15+ years and saw nothing like this. Also, It is pretty far away from the feeders anyway.

I seems to be ALL smallish leaves, low to the ground, no seed pods (yet?), no flowers, no larger protruding stalks coming out of it. It is just layers upon internal tight layers of smallish leaves.

Can anybody take a stab at this? If this is dangerous, I will certainly take steps to eradicate!

It is REALLY bugging me!!!!!!

Thanks very much in advance!

Janet

Comments (6)