Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briarwood1_gw

Elimating weeds on a large area of land

Briarwood1
10 years ago

Hello everyone. I have read various ways on how to kill weeds but I have not come across the best way to tackle a very large area. Clearing on my two acre lot started back in late April, due to some issues it was not completed until early June. I had been waiting to plant trees (a mixture of Leyland Cypress and Colorado Blue Spruce) and while I managed to get them in the ground, I did not have time to do much else before the extreme hot weather hit. I have two questions, first and most importantly what can I do to tackle the area in between the planted trees as well as the 10 foot area over to the property line (which runs 260 ft long)? Second, what is suggested to clear the rest of the open space? I am surrounded by farms and do not want to use any chemicals. Building will be taking place in late Spring. I have included some pictures. Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lot pictures

Comments (7)

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

Your pictures come up as private, so are unviewable.

• Briarwood1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I thought had corrected it. I will try it again.

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

Thanks for fixing the link.

That's a daunting job you've got, and if it were me, I would concentrate around the new trees and just mow the rest for a while. After I got the tree area under control, I'd start nibbling away at the rest of it.

Since the pictures aren't close-ups, there is no way to know what weeds you're dealing with, and we don't know where you are, so we don't know what weeds you are liklely to run into in your area. If you can keep the area mowed, most of the weeds, whatever they are, won't get a chance to go to seed, which will make the ultimate clearing easier.

As for clearing by the trees, just start pulling, and then mulch right away. Decide on a width - 5 feet on either side, or more - and go to it. The only good thing is that there is nothing there to be kept except the trees, so the weeding can be pretty quick and dirty.

You can set up a compost bin or area and dump the weeds in to let them rot; you'll have compost for later.

As I said, this is a big job. Try not to lose patience when you see how much is left to do - concentrate on what you've already done. Good luck!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I totally agree, well said.

Some of the info here may help you establish some flower/garden beds. I'd start aiming the mower chute away from those areas because of the likelihood of distributing more seeds that way, at this point. If you're mowing stuff that hasn't made seeds, you can aim at the beds to add easily decomposed organic matter without the trouble of carting it to compost pile and back. (After enough time has passed that you're pretty sure no loose, unsprouted seeds are still on the surface, I usually use one year for that, but might wait until spring of '15 in your particular situation.)

• Briarwood1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the input. I am in South Kingstown and I think there is quite a combination of different weeds. I hadn't thought about the compost part. As for the weeding, I have started doing just that, weeding and mulching around each tree. Since the weeds have taken off this last month, the area around each tree that I have been able to tackle has been closer to 1 foot. I am hoping to expand to 5 feet or so when I can get a handle on them which we are actually doing by weed whacking. It is amazing how they have grown in the month of July (see add'l pics). My first goal was just trying to keep the weeds from taking the nutrients and water from the trees. Moving forward (especially as the weather cools into September) I would like to do more work to eliminate them completely. My next biggest goal is the 10 foot area from the newly planted trees to the property line that runs the length of 260'.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Understand that you will never eliminate what you call "weeds", but you can control growth, some. However, if you look at these "weeds" more as wild flowers, which they are, and not something really undesirable and not something that needs to be eliminated your life will be easier. Wild flowers are essential to the lives of many of our beneficial insects.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Agreed, unless I wanted certain areas for flower/veggie beds, I wouldn't spend my time/effort that way on such a large property. If just mowed around, the trees will be fine whatever's growing at their base. Nature gave them the ability to tower above everything else and take as much light as they want. The roots reach below all of the other plants, to seek the water they need. They are top of the food chain, in the plant world.

A cleared 1-foot area around a tree will likely be completely grown over within a few weeks. With mulch, maybe until next spring. A smother layer under the mulch might give your effort a little more longevity, but a successful surround/collar around trees is difficult. The soil is often very uneven at the base of trees, and much foliage outside the 1-foot cleared area likely has roots within the cleared area. Some plants would be strong enough to push the smother/mulch over, creep under to find light, or break right through.

I might encourage you to begin your efforts on your vistas. If you enjoy looking out of your windows, at what you see while washing dishes or where you usually sit, and what you see sitting on your porch, when you pull in your drive, you've done a fine job, just mow whatever's leftover. Not having to go outside to see some/a lot of whatever it is you've planted that you enjoy looking at, is huge, IMHO.