Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots (and LOTS) of burdock

Posted by DerrickL none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 21:29

Some plants are nearly 6' tall-- they have not yet started to seed, but they fill the outer perimeter of my property. This seems to be fertile soil, and there are a plethora of little frogs and critters in the shade of the leaves. I feel bad pillaging their home. Any suggestions on what I might be able to replant in the area to keep all critters (my golden retriever included) happy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots (and LOTS) of burdock

Some information to narrow things down would be helpful. What zone, or at least a state would be helpful for figuring out what will handle your weather. Some details on the area you're planting into would be helpful also. Is the border area shaded by trees or in the open? Is the soil damp or does it get dry easily.

Most any small shrub or perennial plant that handles the area you're planting will probably serve the purpose. If you can get something that's native to your area, the critters would likely be doubly appreciative.

o

Burdock roots are edible and have some medicinal virtues as well.

Deer also seem to like to nest near them.

o

The USDA Plant Hardiness Zone is of absolutely no use here since the only thing that tells us is which plant might survive a normal winter where Derrick is. Otherwise Jason is asking good questions that need answers.

o

You could weed whack the flowering stems to stop them seeding but keep the leaves which can be fairly striking in a wild area of a garden. At least while you are deciding what to plant instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here