Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Needed - Any help appreciated!

Posted by blossomaddict z7 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 21:51

Does anyone know what this plant is? This is a small one, but they grow to at least 3 or 4 feet (not sure what the maximum height is, as they get ripped out before they can get any taller!) Never seen a flower or seeds on one, but they have very succulent stems, like an impatien.

Thanks in advance!

Image link: ID Needed - Any help appreciated! (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Needed - Any help appreciated!

Wow, I have some of that growing too in my yard. I wish I knew what it was too. It almost looks like a weedy mustard, lettuce, or dock. I can't seem to find it on any ID weed website.

o

I think it is Erechtites Hieracifolia, American Burnweed:

http://www.ncwildflower.org/plants/e/erechtites_hieracifolia/erechtites_hieracifolia.htm

o

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Jay, I think you nailed it! I left one in place to see if it would bloom, thinking this would help in ID'ing it and it looks identical to the link you posted!

Going to look up additional info on how to get rid of it ;-)

o

I am reading that this is a native american plant. Is there any benefit to keeping it in one's yard?

o
Anita, you may be interested in this book....

Anita--Definitely would have an ecological benefit, as do all annual weeds--holding soil and all that stuff. Personally, I weed it out on my own property, but I only have an acre yard. If I had lots of land, I would let it go while I was concentrating on the real nasties.

I was thinking perhaps the fluff might be used by hummingbirds, like they use thistle down for their nests. Thought I'd try googling a bit, and found out there is a book that I am now putting on my Christmas list!

Here is a link that might be useful: Weeds in My Garden --Google book preview

o

Hi, thanks for the link and the info. I think this is going on my Christmas list, too.

Anita

o

Wow neat book find! FYI, Jay is my other account I created just so I could post a follow up about that weed. They don't allow consecutive postings. :/

o

Jay, you just have to change the subject line to post again.

Anita

o

Wow, thanks for the suggestion. I never noticed that before. lol Finding mystery weeds is fun as they are common, yet often I have no idea what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here