Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johndougg

help identify these weeds!

johndoug
16 years ago

hi,

i'm not a hater of weeds. i don't mind many of them. i'm not a big fan of vines however. i have a couple that have been spreading basically over everything for the past few years (i like a diverse weed population).

anyway, i have attached the two weeds, and a third that i like and has huge leaves. what are the weeds, and what is my best bet for getting rid of them now and in years to come?

thank you!

Comments (14)

• barb124
    16 years ago

I believe the top photo is one of bindweed -- the other two I'm not sure about.

• tyrlych
    16 years ago

#1 Could be one of Polygonum or something of Convolvulaceae family. Closer picture needed.
    #2 Hop. Most likely Humulus japonicus.
    #3 Paulownia tomentosa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Huge leaf

• johndoug
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you! you are right on with #2 and #3. the paulownia is growing underneath a current paulownia tree! due to the softness of the trunk, i didn't think for a second it could be a tree. plus, these leaves are many times larger than the leaves on the mature tree.

i actually tore off the largest leaf to play with it, thinking it was just a weed. i hope i didn't damage it too much. i wonder if it is a sucker from a root, or it is a growth from a seed. i'd like to maybe replant it somewhere else.

is this HOP something i could use for beer? my uncle makes a lot of beer and i could give it to him.

anyway, i will get you closer pictures of #1 when i am back from work. This one is the worst, as it has thorns in the vines.

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

Your first one looks like mile-a-minute vine. Very invasive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mile-a-minute info.

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

The top one looks to me like Nightshade, a member of the same family that we get tomatoes, peppers, etc, from. The others I am not familiar with, yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nightshade

• laura_sue
    16 years ago

Nightshade is not a vine. It looks like bindweed to me.

• sallielouise711
    8 years ago

I found your #2! Here is the link to the info: http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/huja1.htm. Unfortunately, the Japanese Hop is an invasive species and should be ripped out at every opportunity. (We have enough of our native weed species, so this should not be a major loss for you.) Even though your #1 may not be a nightshade, when you do come across Deadly Nightshade, you should rip this one out also, especially if you have children about. It is very poisonous and has very attractive red berries.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

Why/how did this discussion come up to be replied to, after 8 yrs? Why are so many people making a single comment on GardenWeb on discussions that are this old or older?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

TYVM, miss Sallie! Sounds like the search thingie works a little differently, and/or that new people are finding it to look for stuff. I was a bit concerned that, for some devices, maybe the discussions weren't arranged in order of last reply. I apologize completely, my question sounded cranky. I hope you will accept.

I wasn't chiding or complaining, just curious why. I think it's awesome that so many new people are popping in for any kind of chat since GardenWeb joined up with Houzz. The more the merrier! I hope you will hang around & share more of your experiences with new gardeners.

For the topic, sounds like the hops are really hoppin' around!

• johndoug
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update for all... I still have both weeds, in large quantities. Living with them ok I guess. They are like old friends now.

• johndoug
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh, and if someone wants to come pull them out that is good too. Just too many of them and I don't have the time, wish I did. Won't use roundup, and they haven't spread

• Deb 215 SEWI5
    8 years ago

John, take a glass mason jar, fill it with Roundup, dig a hole to bury the jar half way, stick as much of the bindweed in it that you can, but don't let it get broken, cover with a black plastic bag to protect it from rain, and sun and keep creatures out (I also put a piece of chicken wire over the jar to hold the vine in place) and secure the bag with rocks or something heavy. Let it brew for a few days or longer if needed. Repeat wherever this carp grows. I did this with a woody vine that I thought I had eradicated 5 years ago. but it showed up a couple of weeks ago. I think the monster may finally be dead.