Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possibly uprooting dormant weed seeds. How to rectify?

Posted by huntergpt 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 22:22

I'm a beginner with gardening. I have a section of long neglected yard of 6x20 ft; the soil is quite compacted and has lots of clay. I hired someone to kill the grass/weeds and to rototill it. I amended the soil with good topsoils, peatmoss, and composts, planted some shrubs, placed the weeds blocking fabric, covered it with shredded wood mulch. After some reading, I am afraid I made a mistake of disturbing the soil and potentially re-surfacing weed seeds. I also don't think the man did a thorough job of killing the grass/weed.
I don't plan to plant anything in between the shrubs, just some annuals/perennials at the front of the bed.

Am I doomed? Should I remove the fabric and try the newspapers and mulch method? Should I leave the fabric alone, except for the part that I will be planting my annuals and perennials?

Thank you for your advice. Please let me know if this is not the right forum for my question.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possibly uprooting dormant weed seeds. How to rectify?

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. The landscape fabric will block light from reaching the soil, so any weeds that germinate will die.

o
RE: Possibly uprooting dormant weed seeds. How to rectify?

Over time all mulch will accumulate seeds on top of it. You can pull as you see any. Just leave the fabric alone as it is working similar to the newspaper except the newspaper will eventually become part of the soil long before the landscape fabric decays.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here