Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed propane burners?

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 23:16

How exactly is this supposed to kill weeds? Don't many plants survive natural burns and grow back even more vigorous than before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed propane burners?

• Posted by jayk 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 23:56

A fairly quick pass with the flame or a pass from a radiant propane tool will burst the cells of the above ground portion of the weed; basically cooking the weed. Weeds vary in their response to this. Some are well adapted and will grow back quickly, like many grasses. Others are more affected and may die, like young plants, seedlings, and some annual weeds.

o

As jayk stated the heat from the flame causes the cells in the plant to burst, effectively killing the plant, but it does nothing to the plant roots and many of these "weeds" will grow back from those roots.
If you use one of these "flame weeders" due care in use must be observed since imporper use could, and has, cause a large fire.

o

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to get one. Sounds too dangerous. I'm just looking in to all the different weeding tools out there.

o

"Weed" burners, propane torch flamers are not an environmentally sound way to kill "weeds" since they use a non renewable resource to do that.
A far better, more ecologically sound, method of unwanted plant growth control is using mulches of materials from renewable sources.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 17:32

The propane weed burner was first used to kill weeds in cracks on hardscapes.
Then the companies found a market with people who did not need it for parking lots & side walks.
It is better the round up or gasoline, but there are so many other ways to kill weeds.

o

An article in the current issue of Garden Gate magazine talks about starting a fire while using one of these weed burners.

o

Like anything else, this product needs to be used with some common sense. Best use is for weeds coming up in gravel and driveway cracks, etc. It's also good for annual weeds coming up in turfgrass. I would not recommend it for use in dried bark or wood chip mulch and certainly not in pine straw.

Some people will stick their fingers in the garbage disposal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here