Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aznboi385

Is this weed or vegetable?

aznboi385
12 years ago

I'm growing some spinach and carrots along with other veggies in the garden. I'm wondering if this is weed or vegetables since I'm new to gardening. I don't want to pull up all my veggies by accident. There's some that look similar and some that looks different... Thanks!

{{gwi:1350388}}

{{gwi:1350389}}

{{gwi:1350390}}

{{gwi:1350391}}

{{gwi:1350392}}

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

At that stage of growth they kind of look like they might be members of the cucurbit, Cucumber, Squash, Melon, family of plants.
    If you did not plant them there and do not want them there then they are "weeds". "Weeds" are simply plants you do not want growing where you do not want them growing.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

The 2nd from the last, and the plants at the bottom of the last pic look like they will produce something edible.

The other plants all look the same to me. Not spinach or carrot. What other seeds did you have? Do you see any of these plants anywhere besides your garden?

• aznboi385
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well I had bell peppers, brocolli (which I see because they are sprouting evenly). I don't have any cucumbers or squash. I have honeydews and I've identified them as well. It doesn't look like the first bunch of stuff is in the other part of the garden, but I'm sure it's growing where the carrots and spinach are, so if it's the squash type, I guess that's weed. The 2nd to last one is questionable because it doesn't look quite right...

I'm guessing it's not really possible for the veggie seeds to "fly" over to another part of the garden right? I'll pull these up if I spot them elsewhere. Thanks

• Beeone
    12 years ago

Don't know what the first 3 pictures are, but they don't look like any vegetables I've seen. They really look like a weed to me. Possibly something in the parsley family or ragweed?

The last 2 pictures have lambsquarters in them. It is a weed, although you can use it like spinach

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I'm guessing it's not really possible for the veggie seeds to "fly" over to another part of the garden right?

LOL! I love it when other people can find humor in gardening. You're absolutely right, of course. But... a big raindrop can make a seed "jump," seeds get dropped by you without your knowledge while you're working sometimes, muddy shoes can move small particles like seeds around, and birds and squirrels are very busy and unpredictible gardeners. I swear they just like pranks sometimes, too. Maybe you've been punk'd by a critter.

As long as you've got a shovel handy and are paying some kind of attention, it's usually harmless to let a NoID grow a bit until you are more sure. Just more fodder for the compost if it proves to be an unfriendly. Several times throughout the years, I've wintersowed hollyhock seeds, forgot where I put them, and weeded them out not realizing they weren't garlic mustard until I realized they didn't smell.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath