Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID This Weed...

Posted by luvblumz Georgia (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 8:27

This is a highly invasive weed...and tough! Seems to spread via seed mostly. Seedlings spring up in my flowerpots. Has tiny nodules in a row under each leaf and an extensive root system.

Any help ID-ing this one would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID This Weed...

After looking at the Georgia Invasive plant list, I think it MIGHT be a sesbania - Sesbania herbacea, punicea, and vesicaria are all listed as invasives in GA. I am not at all positive, as none of the pictures I could find showed the underleaf nodules, but the leaves themselves matched, again, judging from pictures.
If you can get one to your county agricultural agent, they could almost certainly say aye or nay.
Here's the link for the Georgia Invasives site - absolutely one of the best I've ever seen, so hopefully it will be of help to you, if you don't already have it marked.
I hope that someone else will post with a definite ID here. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Invasives website

o

Thank you lisanti07028... it does indeed appear to be sesbania. Now the work begins in clearing it out and heading off the seeds if I can. Thanks again!

o

Each one of those little balls under the leaves are seeds. Agreed, this is an awful weed.

o

Not Sesbania, but Chamberbitter, Phyllanthus urinaria. Those little balls are the dead give-away. :-) Sesbania doesn't have those.

Still awful, still a weed.

o

I looked up Chamberbitter and if anything it's worse than the sesbanias - what a dreadful plant. Thank goodness it's an annual - imagine all that energy in a perennial. LOTS of good luck to the OP in getting rid of this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here