Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trh701

Eliminator brand weed killer

trh701
17 years ago

Has anyone tried the Eliminator brand weed/grass killer at Wal-Mart? It looks to be about the same as RoundUp - only less expensive. Just wondering how it compares to the effects of RoundUp.

Comments (49)

• tommie01
    15 years ago

Actually the Eliminator Weed & Grass Killer does work systemically. It contains the same active ingredient as RoundUp. That chemical being Glyphosate and it only works systemically. Both companies buy the glyphosate from the same company (Monsanto). Recently RoundUp did add a second ingredient which gives a quicker burn of the top foilage but has no positive effect on the root. The downside to the quick Top Burn is if you burn it too quickly the plant will not be able to absorb the glyphosate down into the root system and the weed may return. And thats the facts.

• cindy_momma_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I used this product according to directions on package and it DID NOT work at all. not even for the smallest weed. I will try and double the recommended amount of water per killer and let you know if it does work. But I purchased this product due to its price being LOWER than roundup. So from now on I will use roundup because I KNOW that product works every time!!

• unconscious86
    14 years ago

This herbicide works fine for me. A trick is to add hand dishwash soap to the solution after you've added the water to the spray tank. The soap is a surfactant that will better carry the herbicide through the leaves. It is the cheapest one I've found for the size and concentration but make sure to add the dishwash soap and you're golden.

• rebuild8
    13 years ago

DOES NOT WORK!!! I don't think I have ever bought a product that was completely and totally useless until now. I just hope I can get my money back.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

If the manufacturer of the product properly formulated it there should be no reason to add anything, except maybe water as directed with a concentrate, Many places where glyphosates have been used are seeing genetic changes in lower order life forms.
    Since most all unwanted plant growth can most often be controlled easily by mechanical methods, spending money on products that harm our environment is usually not a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: About controlling weeds

• jbnyb_att_net
    13 years ago

Eliminator Is a very good weed control . A little slower than Round up but the lower price more than offsets the higher price of Round up. I have been using Eliminator sense it came out and have no complaints

• Beeone
    13 years ago

The label for Eliminator says it is 41% glyphosate, so the same as Round-up. However, you can sell the same herbicide cheaper by 1)not being the brand name. 2)Not adding the adjuvants that will make the herbicide the most effective.

Glyphosate should never be used in a metal sprayer, and high pH or dirty or high calcium (hard) water can degrade its effectiveness. It works best when it has a surfactant and some nitrogen with the spray mix. Thus, on a cheaper variety, a dab of detergent in the mix will be beneficial. If the spray beads up on the weeds and runs quickly, then you need surfactant. It should look like it is wetting the leaves like a good rain, but apply only a light mist. A little plant food in the water will also help.

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Unless the manufacturer, or packager/seller, of a product gives directions to add a surfactant to the mix it should not be necessary and doing so may change the chemical structure of the product and render it ineffective. Spraying any product made to kill kill "weeds" is not an environmentally sound process and uses non renewable materials in the manufacture.
    Keep in mind that since these products have become relatively common in the 1950's we have done more environmental destruction then in the previous 1900 years.

• tgill328_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

dont work at all nada ziltch..its been 2 days..must be pure water..makers of this product should be sued ....

• arrowhead-6_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

it works but does not kill the roots it takes about a week to work add the soap

• dwingosr1_msn_com
    12 years ago

Used eliminator for three years works a little slow but weeds stay dead.(eliminator ready to use) From Wal Mart

• rhkdmd_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been using this product via a plastic tank sprayer for 3 years and find it works very well on plant & shrub beds. It is much slower working than many others (1 week or so), but lasts longer.

• foothill_ocsnet_net
    12 years ago

What do you recommend for the elimination of water primrose?

I have been fighting this intruder for five years & every year it comes back & takes over the pond.

• patnjon1976_aol_com
    12 years ago

lost instructions ,how long berore rain can you spray?

• spongebob270_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just used the weed and grass killer ready to use kind with the pump . Or at least tried to use it . The pump didn't work my ARM got tired from all the pumping. Finally cut a hole in it and poured it on. I will never buy anything from this company again...

• lori_ny
    12 years ago

I've been using the Eliminator concentrate for 5 years now and love it. I follow the instructions for tough weeds and use that strength on everything.

It kills everything I have sprayed.

• babyoaks
    12 years ago

The product is GREAT. I paid less than $15 at Walmart for a 32oz. bottle. I mixed 3 oz in a full 3 gallon sprayer. What impressed me was the area I sprayed with one pass from a moving atv (drive-bye). It is my first choice in weed control.

If anyone has found larger containers, that info would me appreciated.

• bigbe
    11 years ago

I used it because I am one cheap SOB and it worked great. I sprayed around all they outbuildings on my farm and it killed the weeds for the enntire summer so I didn't have to mow close.

• byronD
    11 years ago

It appears that this product is inconsistant in it's content.
    I normally use spectricide concentrate..but wal mart was out of stock so I bought eliminator concentrate.
    I made it twice as strong as indicated and a week later all weeds are healthy. The same day I had used the last of my spectricide that remained in my sprayer and the weeds were dead in 2 days. the questions/comments web site does not work..probably too many complaints..this stuff is going back to wal mart!!!!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I made it twice as strong as indicated and a week later all weeds are healthy. The same day I had used the last of my spectricide that remained in my sprayer and the weeds were dead in 2 days.

It's because Spectracide has a fast-acting "knock down" herbicide that wilts the leaves almost immediately to make the homeowner happy.

Glyphosate has to be translocated to the roots and it kills the roots, causing the leaves to die. It's slower, but it's effective.

• PRO
    Serenity Lawn Service
    11 years ago

Keep in mind, while round-up was created by Monsanto, and Monsanto still manufactures it, the marketing rights were bought up by SMG (Scotts Miracle Gro) years ago. So when you buy a bottle of Round-up, the extra money just pays for the name.

"We are MonsantoâÂÂs exclusive agent for the marketing and distribution of consumer Roundupî non-selective herbicide products within the United States and other contractually specified countries." -Scotts 2011 Annual Report pg.28

Just a thought, by

Here is a link that might be useful: Scotts Annual Report

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

The manager of our HD explained that he always mixes up his in a sprayer because they don't mix it strong enough pre-mixed.

• dt63944
    10 years ago

Eliminator worked just fine for me at about 1/3 the cost of Roundup. For those who claim it doesn't work, the same job with Roundup won't work, either. The formulae are essentially the same. Expect widespread results in about 1 week if bottle instructions are followed.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

The active ingrediant in this product is glyphosate, a product that Monsanto says is safe and the EPA parrots because they do not do any research themselves. This product is so safe that the EPA strongly suggests, and OSHA requires, long pants, long sleeved shirts, chemically impervious gloves, a respirator for mists (HEPA), and eye protection be worn when mixing and applying.
    The Euorpean Union and Canadas Ontario Province have severely restricted the use of these products.

• COLgard
    10 years ago

I purchased the huge big pump action spray container of Eliminator Weed and Grass killer at Walmart .... I JUST HOPE IT DOES NOT KILL ME! Container is not totally sealable to pressurize with the pump. It leaks all over at any joints/connections and to top it off the hose came off three times [at handle/sprayer location] soaking me with the chemical. Obviously the spray action was weak.
    It is totally a piece of crap and a waste of my time. I should have bought the name brand to start with.

• MaryJoD
    9 years ago

I agree, Eliminator Weed and Grass Killer is a waste of money. I purchased mine from Walmart, the pump would not pressurize, and when I finally got it to pressurize, it took forever to pumpup and then it leaked everywhere. I finally took the top off and poured the weed killer directly on my weeds. The weeds now look as if I feed them a fertilizer and they are doing better than my plants. What a waste of my money and time.

• cetialpha5
    9 years ago

I live in N.E. Mississippi and I use Eliminator instead of roundup because I had bad luck with it. The Eliminator is slower acting, and it works best well into the hot months, Early spring, not so much, because the nights are too cool. read the label! It works on grasses and most weeds. However, on small tree saplings (sprouts and above) and saw briars and blackberry briars it stunts, but doesn't kill at the levels of mix they say to use on the label. I use 1.5 x to double the amount, and it kills very well. Hey, nothing today does what the old stuff would do. but that is the point of the new chemicals. So, we have to make do with what we have. Some friends have said to mix with diesel, but, that is not legal or environmentally friendly either. So, just realize, you kill what you can with these products, and just have to get out there and chop, cut, or weed eat the rest. I use a Saw type blade on my Sthil weed eater, and this beats a kaiser blade and especially a weedeater, because it makes a mist of the plants and slings it all over me, and I am allergic to poison Ivy etc so, I have to be diligent and do the cleaning regularly of those things the Chems don't kill. I've come to the realization, that you just have to do it, you don't have to like it. It's super hot in Miss in the summer. So I know it as well as any. Be safe!

• cetialpha5
    9 years ago

My best results came from doing this. Night time temps must be averaging above 60 deg. and the hotter daytime the better. so here, around mid May to early June this year. Watch the weather, or Online radar, to see if it is going to rain that day. if not, then spray. Also, do it around the noon hour, a couple hours either way, so there is no dew on or about to fall on the weeds n grass. mix it double what they say on label. put in the poison first in the spray tank, then fill with water, and once the pump is screwed into it, and secure, you can also shake it, to keep the mix properly. also, as I carry it, I give it a shake every so often. I use a medium spray and wet the grass well, but I don't drench it. and I have great results.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I use Eliminator instead of roundup because I had bad luck with it. The Eliminator is slower acting

Read the labels and look up the active ingredients ... "Roundup" brand used to be just glyphosate. Then they added a "knockdown" herbicide to make weeds wilt quickly to keep homeowners happy.

"Eliminator" is plain glyphosate. Yes, it's slower acting, but it's way cheaper and patience doesn't cost me anything.

• vandaa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have used Eliminator very successfully. Killed Cat Tails with it. 42% Glyphosate same as the most expensive brands of Round Up. It took longer to act but it wiped them out. Used it on just about everything else too. I used it in my garden sprayer and added a bit of olive oil the last time. Round Up does not work well. Weeds come back immediately. I use the concentrate and did about 8 parts of whatever on the dial. The lake behind my house is for golf course. We did not have much rain last summer and the cattails went nuts because the water level was low. They are one of the tougher things to kill. Bought another bottle and will use it again to wipe out the baby cattails before they go crazy. If it rains more then the cat tails will die as the water level rises.

• nonni conni mo
    7 years ago

to all... you are talking about two different products!. there is total solutions (brand) "eliminator" an aquatic herbicide with diquat AND eliminator (brand) weed and grass killer. two totally different products.

• mrskellyllove
    7 years ago

Elimator Super concentrate weed and grass killer was a hit.

Killed everything I sprayed it on....husband accidentally went beyond our property area but this works well when measured properly especially doubled.

Might take up to a week but believe me it will take out the green stuff.

Now I can remove the dead grass and sod.

Our yard was the prettiest on the street until the weeds took completely over.

Elimator ....the bomb!

• Bj Woodward
    6 years ago

Crappy stuff. I paid approximately 10.00 bucks for Eliminator ready to use...guess the sprayer might have need worth it..went back and spent 13.00 on Roundup concentrate. Roundup is the best I have ever used. And in 24 hours you see results

• nodems16
    6 years ago

THIS STUFF IS CRAP, I USED 1 1/2 TIMES WHAT IT SAID AND THE WEEDS ARE STILL THERE

• heaven4u01
    6 years ago

Ok folks I purchased eliminator ready mixed nice sprayer and just put it to work. I'll let you all see a comment in a week

• heaven4u01
    6 years ago

Eliminator and round up are same products so I saved money getting eliminator as I could have paid a lot more and gone to feed and seed store and purchased ERASER and it does erase everything

• nodems16
    6 years ago

This stuff is CRAP I used almost double what it called for and it only killed the thin weeds

• Nicole Wayne
    5 years ago
    Just sprayed my yard with Eliminator Weed & Grass Concentrate. I mowed just before and it is supposed to drizzle a bit later tomorrow. Hoping it works like a charm. Will report back!
  • jstory89
    5 years ago
    I bought it are used it it’s not even close to round up it’s no good I think it’s got more fertilizer in it then anything else on my concrete driveway it has not helped I have sprayed over and over heavy so disappointed jimmy
  • vandaa
    5 years ago

Not fighting cat tails anymore. The Eliminator I used on them was not aquatic. I waited until water went down and then used it. I probably used a more potent solution. Roundup got cheaper ? The Eliminator I used you had to mix.

• HU-491038287
    5 years ago

Been using it for years but did discover along the way, putting it on the day after a rain is extremely effective. It inhibits the growth that happens after a rain and kills the plant. Takes 1-3 days to kill the plants, but they don't come back On days when I'd put it on that were dry with little growth happening, it was like I never put it on. So wait till the day after a rain to apply it. Very effective. Most applications during spring time were effective all the time, summer applications were ineffective without rain the prior day. Basically, the plant has to be exhibiting growth for it to be effective. I'm in south Texas so nothing grows here during the summer, which is when the weeds are still there, but without the rain to cause a growth spurt, nothing happens.

• HU-955938888
    4 years ago

Can I spray my yard while the bermuda grass is dormant or will it kill the grass?

• Jill Dombrowski
    3 years ago

I love love love Eliminator from Walmart. I swear by it and I don’t use anything else. It is the BEST.

• Toni Edwards
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is the best weed and grass killer I've ever used. Why did Walmart stop selling the $8 container that isnt concentrate?

• HU-789331051
    3 years ago

I have purchased the ready to use formula but I am a 75 yr. old female and I can’t figure out how to attach the sprayer. Am I just thickheaded?

• Denise L
    3 years ago

Look on the cap to the gallon jug, there is a round piece of paper covering a hole in the lid. Peel off the paper to reveal the hole. Then plug the end of the hose into the hole by pressing firmly. Now squeeze the trigger repeatedly until it begins to spray out the liquid. If the liquid fails to spray out after 10 squeezes of the trigger, then squeeze the trigger and hold it down, then press your finger onto the sprayer's hole and then release the trigger. Repeat this until it begins to spray out. Be sure to use Eliminator AFTER a rain if you live in a dry climate. If it's a wet climate where greens grow continuously, you can use it any time. I hope this helps.

• HU-115288771
    last year

April 18, 2022== worthless product -- sprayed weeds 3 times no change.

• D
    8 months ago

I use it alot..but I have alot of land. .. II've Always had good luck with it! I spray the same area once a year to keep weeds away due to blowing winds in my are.