Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying a plant/weed? and Mushroom overtake!

Posted by Novice930 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 10:45

Hello,

Can someone tell me what this is? I noticed this morning that a few of them have sprouted up in my planting bed.

Also, my mulch in a different area is being overtake by mushrooms, Bird's nest mushroom among others. The guy at Home Depot gave me a fungicide to layout using the spreader, but it did nothing on the mulch. Any advice?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying a plant/weed? and Mushroom overtake!

Mushrooms in mulch is NOT a problem. It's just helping turn the mulch into soil.
Ignore them, they won't kill your plants.

It may mean you are overwatering - check the moisture level.

If the looks bothers you, pull them out.

o

That sort of "mushrooms" indicate that the suitable substrate was present along with temperatures and moisture content.
They have nothing to do with overwatering.

They will go away according to their own schedule.
Fungicides won't work against them.

o

When I hear these stories of the bad, irresponsible advice dished out at big box stores, it makes steam come out of my ears!

Fungicides should only be used on plant diseases! Mushrooms growing in mulch have nothing to do with plants, but with the mulch that the fungus is working hard to decompose. Those mushrooms are not a sign of disease but of an essential beneficial biological process.
! Using chemical fungicides where they don't work is exactly like humans taking antibiotics for a cold.....it doesn't work and creates resistance to the antibiotic. Fungicide resistance is a major problem.

My advice is to ignore the mushrooms in the mulch. Those are just the fruiting bodies, anyway. You can rake them away, but the active fungus is actively working in the mulch and soil, doing good stuff.

Avoid using fungicides, period, but never unless you have a precise identification of a real plant disease.

o

Oh ok, Well thats good to know!

Anyone know anything about the plant growing in my planting bed?

o

Compare with Erechtites hieracifolia, American Burnweed. Just pull it out. More tenacious and difficult to get rid of is the Oxalis in the background.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here