Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poison ivy and solarizing

Posted by lausie z7MD (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 11:03

I recently moved to Maryland and found that I have an abundant crop of poison ivy among thick beds of English ivy in my yard. Both ivys are mature and the English ivy makes it very difficult to see how much poison ivy there actually is. The two beds run the length of my property (about 100 yards) and are about two feet wide. One particular bed of ivy surrounds an old oak tree. I am happy to rid my yard of both the poison and English ivys.

I don't think that roundup or brush-be-gone will be good options for my problem, since there is so much poison ivy and I can't see all of the individual plants.

I was thinking of mowing the beds, tilling them and then solarizing. It's late in the season, but I think if I use double plastic and leave it on throughout the winter and into next summer, I might have a chance of killing both ivys. I'm also happy to keep the plastic on throughout next summer and postponing my landscaping plans.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poison ivy and solarizing

If you are going to solarize, you don't need to mow or till. Mowing will expose you to the poison ivy.

English Ivy has a waxy coating and is difficult to kill with Round Up. You can try mixing will some detergent to help get through the coating.

If you want a double whammy, I would suggest Round Up, wait 10 days, Round Up again on anything that is still green. Wait 7 days for 2cd Round Up to work. Then solarize.

o

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish CO Rockies (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 6:41

A good surfactant will make all the difference in how effective the herbicide will be. Wait more than 10 days tho-woody plants will uptake slower so at least 2 weeks and maybe more before spraying again.
Personally, I'd use a a brush be gone product rather than roundup for either ivy. So not cut beore spraying if doing a foliar application. Fall will be the most effective time as plants are drawing nutrients down in preperation for the winter.

o

What exactly is solarizing?

o

I think you would need to use black plastic at this time of the year, because the soil will never get to the temperatures needed for real solarization. I'd be afraid that you would just create a green house! Next spring, as temperatures heat up, you could change it out to clear plastic, seal it up properly, and steam the heck out of everything!

Does that make sense? Proper solarization requires sunlight, warm air temperatures, moisture in the soil, and a tight seal all the way around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here