Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basketgrass

Posted by SCurbanyard South Carolina (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 11:26

Basketgrass is taking over my yard. Hand pulling is not enough. It keeps popping up in new areas, and with all the rain we've been getting, it immediately starts growing, well, like a weed!

I've tried painting Bayer BrushKiller on it, but it's too much work to get it just on this and nothing else. Maybe I should spray? Maybe I should reseed with something to crowd it out? Do I need to dig everything up and start over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basketgrass

There are two kinds of basketgrass - one is native and one is not, and the non-native one is dreadfully invasive, to the point that most of the eastern states have a watch out for it. I was not able to find a close-up picture of either one, nor was I able to find any list of the obvious differences between them. You may want to find your local native plant society, or county agricultural agent, and ask for help in identifying which one you have, particularly since South Carolina is one of the states watching out for the invasive one.

Whichever one you have there, just keep pulling it up and do your best to prevent it from going to seed. Some of the websites I found recommend Round-up (or its generic equivalent); I don't know what's in Bayer's stuff. I know this is extreme,but can you dig up your "good" plants, and then spray the heck out of the basketgrass? I know that herbicides need to be used minimally and carefully, but sometimes there just isn't another way.

Good luck; I hope that you find the information you need to get control of this.

o
RE: Basketgrass

Thank you. I sent photos to the county extension and haven't heard back yet.

I bought my first (and hopefully last) Roundup today. :(

Doing what has to be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here