Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archangel2003

WEED is everywhere, roots extend everywhere!

archangel2003
11 years ago

I believe it came with the plants the builder installed during the new construction.

In one small isolated corner area buy the driveway at the corner of the house, I dug throughout the bed and eventually into the shrubs root ball as it kept coming back from there.

After several attempts, spending 1/2 the day digging and tracking roots, I got it all and it was everywhere.

By the front of the house though the battle is not going as well.

It seems as if the roots are a netting throughout the entire area and it even got under the brick border and started to intrude into the lawn. I did get it all out of the lawn, but the flower bed with the (required number of bushes) is horrible!

I can't dig anywhere in the flower bed without hitting some of it's roots.

The roots seem to grow no deeper than 6 inches, but then spread out in every direction.

I has yet to reach under the sidewalk to the other side.

The pictures I have are of the little shoots that come up, but the mature plant can get 3 to 4 feet or possibly higher.

Comments (10)

• archangel2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here is the root.
    Can we post more than one picture at a time?

• archangel2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

one more try for the root picture.

• archangel2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the stem side shot.

Also, every weed guide I have found on the web site has nothing to offer.
    The thought of planting a variety of mint plants to attempt to choke it out has come to mind, but I fear it will just commingle and hide.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Has it flowered? If so, do you have pictures to post or can you describe them?

And where do you live?

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

I think it's mugwort, one of the artemesia family. It is a royal PITA - my neighbor and I have spent years on getting rid of it.
    What worked for us (pretty much) was digging down to get most of the roots and then being vigilant about pulling the little shoots up as soon as we saw them. Like bindweed and some other horrors, the roots that are down deep keep sending up shoots; if you keep pulling the little ones, the rootstock will eventually be exhausted and stop. Every so often, one will show up to my great dismay, so I guess the underground root is still there, but it's like once or twice a year, so no biggie.
    Don't even think about composting any of it - I swear, it lives forever in compost.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

That does look like Mugwort, "Artemisia vulgaris" an herb reported to have many different curative properties. When crushed these plants emit an odor somewhat similar to whar Chrysanthemums do.
    Because of the extensive root system they develop, rhizomes actually, destruction can be difficult. The best way is to keep the plants cut so the roots eventually starve.

• archangel2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks like we found it!
    Here is the bad news!!

This species is an almost ineradicable weed. Control measures include stubbling, early autumn plowing, crop rotation with bare fallow, mowing on fallow grounds before flowering and use of herbicides if necessary.

I guess I'll just have to tear the whole garden bed out and sift out the weed roots.

• archangel2003
    Original Author
    11 years ago

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=arvu

THAT WEB SITE SAYS THAT IS IS NOT IN ILLINOIS, MUCH LESS IN THE JOLIET AREA!!!

I WILL BE PRINTING THAT PAGE OUT, AND IN THE MORNING I'M GOING TO PLACE IT IN THE FLOWER BED!!

I'M SURE THEY WILL RELOCATE ASAP!!!

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

"I'M SURE THEY WILL RELOCATE ASAP!!!"

If only that would work!
    Good luck with the mugwort - it's a job and a half but you can do it.

• archangel2003
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it's been a year and I took a week end and just tore up the first 6 inches of soil and sifted it by hand.
    All spring I have been digging and pulling.
    If I see a shoot come up I do not stop digging until I find the root that supplied it.
    While I was at it I pulled the crab grass as well, but it is more prevalent than the Mugwort, "Artemisia vulgaris".
    I tried to sell the neighbor on taking it as it was used to brew beer before there were hops. He is not interested.

A few years ago I did get it all out of one small bed even though it was firmly tangled in a root ball of a bush.
    I do believe that is where it all started from, the bushes planted by the builders landscaper.
    How better to get rid of a weed tangled bush?