Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeds are Round Up Resistant, HELP

Posted by WeedDisaster Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 12:34

Hi everyone. I have a backyard area that is approximately 12,000 sq ft in size (huge). The area is covered in weed control cloth and then covered with rocks. I am having a horrible time getting the weeds to die. I have been using round up (kill all weeds and grass), extended control weed and grass killer, Eliminator, homemade (salt/vinegar), etc. diluted much less than on the directions on the package (almost full strength concentrate) and still can not get the weeds to die. I have applied the weed killer by using a pump sprayer. Its a nightmare. I have also been using solarization in one area, and the weeds are growing under the clear plastic. Im at my wits end, as pulling them by hand takes countless hours. Side note: I have been using the same strength in our front yard, and kills weeds within 2 days time. So something is up with our weeds in the backyard. They just will not die!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeds are Round Up Resistant, HELP

To be successful with herbicides, one must follow directions. Round-up resistance isn't yet in home gardens.

If your weeds are annuals, they should die when treated. You'll have the best results if the plants are in good condition and growing well when you apply the herbicide.

If the weeds are perennials, one must continue to treat -- cut off; pull off; dig out; or herbicide at the right time) every time they reappear. Again, you'll have best results when the plants are in good condition and growing well when you apply the herbicide.

The goal is to starve the roots. Dealing w/ perennials weeds will be a several-years-long project.

Systemic weed killers can burn plants when mixed stronger than the label advises, thus won't go to the roots.

o

I wonder if she shade is part of the culprit between the front and back of the house?

o

It would help to know what weeds you've got. There are some that grow from underground tubers, and you can spray RoundUp until you're blue in the face and they'll keep coming up. There are other plants that are not as susceptible to RU as usual - not resistant per se, just different chemistry.

So, what have you got? Pictures would be fine.

o

Researchers at Iowa State University found, in the 1990's, plants exhibiting resistance to the affects of the glyphosate products, most of which could be home garden "weeds". Other researchers have found genetic problems with Frogs, Toads, Efts, etc. where glyphosate pruducts are used. If these lower forms of life are being changed genetically what does that mean for the rest of us?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here