Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a real quick answer

Posted by Ferroplasm 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 13:06

I'm converting a portion of my lawn to a garden. This area is currently bermudagrass turf with a lot of weeds. I will be creating a large raised bed by shoveling 4-6 inches of purchased soil on top of it. I sprayed with 1% glyphosate 1.5 weeks ago and again sprayed with 2% glyphosate last night to kill off all the bermudagrass. Do you think it would be OK to begin moving in the soil and covering up all the existing turf? I need this soil out of my driveway ASAP.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a real quick answer

OK. Real quick answer. If your Bermuda was well irrigated and maybe even fertilized (to make it happy and growing at its maximum) it will respond to the glyphosate fairly well by taking the product deeply into its roots. But, it is rare that the Bermuda would be totally eradicated. You will be lucky if you get 90-95% kill if the answer to the two previous questions was "yes."

So, likely the answer is "maybe." But that will amount to following up the next season with a follow up, each and every time nailing the Bermuda when it rears it ugly head. And also, around the edge of the raised bed you will have to nail it there, too.

Bermuda is tenacious and will continue to be a threat unless you are also tenacious and stay on top of it.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here