Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horror of Horrors! Can you Identify This?

Posted by stkgrl Zone 8 Sumner (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 13:43

Looking for help from all of you gardening gurus. Can anyone tell me what this weed is and how to get rid of it! It has loooooonnnnggg runners and plants pop up along the length of the runners. It's not as tough as horsetail to pull out, but boy is it hardy. Just when I thought I got it all, it comes back.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tami

Image link: Horror of Horrors! Can you Identify This? (41 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horror of Horrors! Can you Identify This?

This looks like the weed I have been trying to deal with in a garden at my daughter's school--I just thank goodness it's not growing in my own yard (though I do have every other weed possible I think). I hadn't been able to ID it until I saw it here, either this forum or Name That Plant. It's Sheep Sorrel (Rumex acetosella)I believe. Let me know if you figure out a way to get rid of it, please!

o

dbs has the ID right. It is quite a spreader because it has runners as well as seeds. You can pull all the plants and there will still be seeds in the ground that can grow. I've gotten good control using herbicides (curtail and roundup). In a lawn, neither of these products is appropriate. Where is yours growing?

o

I know this won't help you to get rid of it (as for how to instruct you on this I'm at a loss), but I thought I'd just point out that if you want to, you can actually use that weed- it's edible like yellow wood sorrel and can be added to salads and the like. SO.... ;)

Good luck on how to remove it!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here