Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsykristl

Chameleon Plant/Weed/Indestructible Nuisance

BetsyKristl
9 years ago

Has anybody successfully gotten rid of this menace? One of my beds was so infested with it that I had to dig out all the plants I wanted to rescue, then dig out each and every chameleon plant. It was hard work and the smell is just nasty, but I discovered that while each cluster might have a root going down to Afghanistan, there were two primary "root balls" (about 8" across) that connected a lot of it together.

After clearing all I could find of it - and it's like a dandelion, if you pull one up you can be sure there will be 6 more the minute you stand up to look - anyway, once I'd cleared that one bed I sprayed enough RoundUp to drench the bed. Within a week it was sprouting again (RoundUp is not a pre-emergent) so I sprayed again, then repeated the whole process a week later, and a week after that. Finally, a month later, the bed is clear and ready to replant. As an extra measure of safety I went out today to spread landscape fabric. While crouched down to peg the fabric into the soil I noticed that the plant has now popped up in the next bed over and, as it seems to have an uncanny knack for growing right up the middle of decorative plants, I don't know what to do about it! There is not enough of me to dig out all my gardens because of this stupid plant...

Help!! I'm considering a blow torch...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living