Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pease Help Identify

Posted by tulsaweed (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 14:23

Here is a bigger picture and clearer picture. The weed in the picture is slowly, but surely taking over my yard which a Bermuda grass yard. If you could please help to identify and give me an idea how to get rid of the weed, I be would greatly obliged

Image link: Pease Help Identify (49 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pease Help Identify

It is still hard to ID this critter, but thanks for the clearer picture. Two possibilities come to mind - large crabgrass, Digitaria sanguinalis, except that it has reddish stems at the base of the plant that are not visible in your picture, and some type of cupgrass, Eriochloa spp. Cupgrass in younger seedling stages can resemble large crabgrass. I'm sure that there are other possiblities as well.
In either case the first thing I would check is the thickness of thatch in your Bermuda. For either of these grasses to completely dominate Bermuda like that there must be something giving them a great advantage. Dig a couple of chunks up and check thatch. If it has become too thick the Bermuda will struggle and the weeds will win.
hortster

o

I have these weeds growing unders my azaela's. They are kinda look like a hedge birdweed, but don't have flowers and when you pull them out, there is a nut(size of a small marble), on the end. I think I have them all pulled out and more keep coming! What are they and how do I get rid of them! They climb up in my azaela's and are trying to take over.

o

Thank you to both of you for responding to my question. I did pull some of the weed up and it is very thick and it is not red on the end. The picture was taken after it had been mowed if it makes it easy to identify I can post another picture. I really appreciate your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here