Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanpmi

War on spurge

susanpmi
11 years ago

I have a corner lot that gives me a small, odd shaped lot, surrounded by a huge amount of "skirt" lawn area to maintain. One large area of the skirt is a long strip on a busy street. When the city re-did the curbs on this street a couple of years ago, the grass there was destroyed. The city put seed down in like October, which clearly was not enough time to get anything going, so the next spring while I had my hands full with other things, many weeds were able to have a field day establishing themselves along this strip. Since it is full sun, the spurge really took off. Early last fall I hand pulled and then did a big treatment with weed killer. I planted drought resistant grass seed and crossed my fingers. This summer has been so hot and dry, though, the grass died back and the spurge came back 100 times worse than ever. I started hand pulling today, but I am feeling despair as my back is aching and I am looking at about 20-30 hours of work with the size patch I have got. So discouraged and wondering if anyone has suggestions. FYI because it is on a busy street with lots of sidewalk traffic as well, I don't think I can do any kind of a mulch/newspaper cover to kill back the spurge. I don't love chemicals, but I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get rid of this spurge before it takes over the rest of my lawn.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone