Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spraying for Nutsedge and replanting daylilies

Posted by Rudbeckia412 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 15:17

In a fit of anger over nutsedge in a flowerbed, I dug up the daylilies and sprayed the nutsedge with Image. Now I am wondering how long I have to wait to replant the daylilies?
Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spraying for Nutsedge and replanting daylilies

What does the label say?

BTW, you might be interested in reading this about nutsedge:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7432.html

Here is a link that might be useful: nutsedge in home gardens

o

what did you spray? if it a chemical that kills the plant when the plant itself is sprayed like roundup you should be able to replant immediately. if you used a soil treatment read the label. i've been spraying spectracide on the nutsedge after covering the plants i want with overturned plastic pots to protect them. after the 5th spraying the sedge is finally disappearing. i read on a state agriculture web site that after repeated spraying & pulling the 'nuts' eventually lose their potency & become too weak to regenerate new growth. i gave up on my vegetable garden this year & have sprayed & tilled it weekly. i'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

o

Image, "imazaquin", is a product of lower toxicity than Spectracide.
Control of nutsedge requires some understanding of the plant and its origins. All sedges evolved in wet lands and the Yellow Nutsedges, Purple Nutsedges, and others grow best in soils that replicate wet lands, moist.
There will be those that will state here that the people at the University of California, or any other state university, do not know what they (those with pHDs) are talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Nutsedge

o

I know that the primary nutsedge I have is yellow and I know that it came in with topsoil when we built our raised flower beds several years ago. I have dug them up, pulled them up and as a last resort sprayed with Image. I also understand that nutsedge grows best in moist conditions which we definitely have. The label is not specific about replanting mature plants - only about reseeding with grass.
Thanks for the links about nutsedge but I still am wondering about the effect of replanting in the same area where I recently sprayed.

o

you probably should wait a couple weeks. The label suggests you spray it in w/in 1-7 days.

Call them to be sure. 1-800-265-0761

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here